41 | Lune

The room erupted into music and festivities as Selene approached Kai somewhat self-consciously, sending glances the way of staring guests. She tried to appear pleasant as she parked herself at Kai's side, up at the head of the grand, bedazzled ballroom.

"Congratulations, your Majesty." Selene smiled sweetly and dipped into a bow. "What a beautiful ceremony."

Kai stared at Selene, beside him, for a while before cracking a grin. "That's the first time you've ever bowed to me."

"What?" Selene righted herself quickly. "I'm sure that's not true. I've bowed to you before."

"No, that's the first. You have given me respectful nods before, though."

"Well, since you've become emperor, about fifteen minutes ago, you've just had this air of power and prestige. I couldn't help but feel inclined to pay homage to your greatness." Selene rolled her eyes and nudged Kai's shoulder with her own, smiling, before she suddenly remembered where they were and took a sobering step away from him. Kai cleared his throat shyly, his cheeks dusted with a pink that hadn't been there before, and smiled to himself. Selene looked away.

She'd felt strangely self-conscious in a way she never had as queen before, all the Earthens surrounding her and staring at her and pointing discreet cameras at her. She was lucky they all feared her so much they didn't try to approach her.

She did have to pay complimentary respects to the government leaders attending Kai's coronation, and spent a few minutes drifting around the room, having her hand kissed and shook and receiving bows and compliments. She kept a smile plastered onto her face, though it did nothing to make her wary callers more comfortable. She felt as though she were stumbling into unknown territory, and it was a strange feeling. One, however, that was becoming more familiar the farther and farther she drew from Luna. Selene felt too bare. She shivered.

As the guests for the Peace Ball started to arrive at the palace, Selene became pushed and delegated up to the head of the room with Bement and Winter at her side, up besides Kai and his advisor. Kai was making his rounds in his own, newly-coronated way- a bit of a queue had started to form to shake Kai's hand, congratulate him, discuss bright futures in trade and international relations, and Kai was more calm and regal than Selene had ever seen him before. He was already a responsible leader, and Selene had to remind herself that despite the uncertainties and nerves he'd shared with her about his coronation, he'd been preparing for the role of emperor for years. Far longer than Selene had prepared for hers. She'd been queen since thirteen, and had hardly grown wiser.

Selene huffed to herself at the almost ironic nature of it, earning a quizzical glance from Winter. She needed food, while Kai was occupied like this.

Hiking up her skirts, as elegantly as she could, Selene marched down the steps and down into the ballroom. Grand displays of food swept across two buffet tables, and Selene made a beeline for the shrimp platters. She didn't know if she was really supposed to be eating, and if Winter was going to berate her later for making a fool of herself at the Peace Ball for all the world to see, but she did know that all these people's stares were beginning to make her starving.

Selene hadn't even touched the shrimp before someone familiar caught her eye, and she glanced up.

Linh Peony really was here, like she said she'd be, and she was accompanied by an older woman with hair that showed attempts at masking imcoming gray, pulled back into a tight bun, and a teenage girl who looked to be maybe a little older than Selene. As Selene watched, Peony appeared to be arguing with them, waving her arms in big gestures and speaking in hushed, angry tones.

Selene knit her brow and forgot the shrimp, making her way around the buffet table and over to Peony. Peony didn't notice her approach, but her companions started to stare, wide-eyed, as they realised that Selene was coming over to them.