01 | Suicide

Selene watched as Winter entered the throne room, cautiously walking toward the servant woman about to jump off the balcony edge. Winter's friend, Jason or whatever his name was, stood in front of her, not yet realizing that a real princess was in his midst.

Selene knew more than people gave her credit for. She knew about Aimery's abuse of the servant woman. She knew about how exceptionally skilled Winter was with her gift, and she knew about the woman's plan to kill herself.

Selene shoved her way past the boy, scowling. Even though she was only five years old, she demanded respect from everyone, and was extremely intelligent. The boy, who had been watching Winter carefully, gaped at Selene as she stalked toward Winter.

"Winter!" She cried, grasping at her arm and tugging on it. "Winter, let's go play."

Winter looked down, wide-eyed, at Selene. "Selene- this woman is going to hurt herself. I need to help her!"

Selene bunched up her face. "She wants to hurt herself, Winter. Aimery was hitting her!"

The servant woman's sobs grew louder. She backed away towards the edge of the balcony.

Shock crossed over Winter's face. "Aimery-"

Selene continued. "She would be sadder if she didn't hurt herself. She won't like it if you stop her, just like you wouldn't like it if I took your doll and wouldn't give it back."

Winter glanced back at the servant woman. "I-I suppose..."

"You should let her do it, Winter."

Winter stared at her, and Selene could see the warring emotions in her eyes. She wanted to save the woman, but the woman didn't want to be saved.

"Winter..."

Selene could almost see Winter slip her will out of the servant. The servant sobbed harder and stepped toward the edge of the balcony. Winter closed her eyes, and Selene wrapped her arms around her waist. The servant stepped off the edge of the balcony, and fell toward Artemisia's giant crater lake. Winter let a sob escape from her throat, and Selene watched the whole thing, detached.

"Winter..." The boy approached Winter, holding out his hand, and Selene glared at him. "Come on, Winter." She cooed. "Let's go."

Winter allowed Selene to walk her out of the throne room, eyes still shut closed and still sobbing. Selene almost felt bad for her. But Winter would forget. Winter would move past it all.

Selene glanced back at the boy. He looked stricken, his hands hanging limply at his sides as though the puppet master operating them had abandoned him. Selene smirked at him, turning away. Winter would move past him, too. After all, he was only the son of a lowly palace guard.