3.

Josalena

The girl's bravery was unbelievable. Not only was she gorgeous, but she was strong and willing to face punishment to stand up for what she believed in.

And it was a relief that she was alive and well. I wanted to feel anger at her broken promise. Resentment from the outcome. But instead, I felt too much joy at seeing her.

"You didn't have to be so harsh," I let the comment slip at dinner.

"Excuse me?" Father looked up from his food and his hard stare pierced me.

I gulped and my cheeks burned. Stupid, stupid!

No one was more afraid of my father, the General, than I was. I knew more than anyone what he was capable of. Ever since Mother ran away with a half-breed, when I was younger, he went from kind-hearted father to hard, disciplining General. He ran this house with an iron grip like he did the half-breeds. Back in their parents time halfbreeds were more free to come and go, and were segregated still, but from what I hear it wasn't as bad as it is now, thanks to the final hunt that wiped out the last shapeshifters. Leaving behind only the halfbreeds, half human, half shapeshifter. Shapeshifters turned fully into an animal and back fully into humans. Halfbreeds were stuck in an in between place of human and animal.

"Um nothing," I shook my head, looking down at my plate, staring at the mashed potatoes, green beans and pork. I started moving around the food on my plate, trying to focus on it instead of the burning gaze Father was looking at me with.

"If you have something to say, say it!" He slammed his fist down onto the table, causing his plate to jump and clatter, a few green beans falling off the side and onto the table. I couldn't help but think how those few green beans that were wasted could have gone to the starving halfbreeds, father kept downstairs.

My hands started to shake so I placed them in my lap as I focused on his thick black eyebrows that had a little grey in them.

"I um, I just think that," I looked down at my plate again, rubbing my fingertips together and just moving my hands around a lot.

I jumped as Father got up; slightly raising my hands as he stomped towards me, shoving his face close to mine.

"Look at me when you're talking and stop mumbling!" He shouted loud in my face as he always did when getting angry. He usually just yelled and screamed loudly in my face, throwing things around and making lots of loud noises when he was mad. It was terrifying, but it was better than him hitting me, which he did every once in a while, but luckily not a lot.

"And put your hands down! Are you threatening me?!" He yelled, slapping my hands away. Threatening? More like I was cowering behind them.

"No sir, I - I'm sorry, truly, it was a slip of the tongue, I didn't mean it!" I cried, hating getting yelled at. Hated how much I wanted to cower and run away.

Just as fast as he had snapped, he calmed down, nodding. "Good." And with a pat on my head he was leaving the room. "I'll be back!" He called.

With a sigh, I slumped forward. Tears prickled my eyes, but after a few seconds I fixed myself. Putting on a fake smile. It wasn't like anyone would walk in and see me, but I was just trying to smile for myself. Telling myself that all was fine. My whole motto was "fake it until you make it". Mostly I faked being happy and hoped soon I would truly be.

"Ok," I let out a breath. "It's fine, everything's fine."

Getting up, I grabbed my barley eaten plate and Father's half eaten one.

There was no way I was going to waste this food.

Our house was the largest, next to the four people that actually made the laws around here. The ones that had seen how much Father hated the half-breeds and decided he'd be the perfect person for the job of keeping them in line.