The Den of the Lion

ابدأ من البداية

Ragnar released a stiff sigh "then I have questions..." he said. Khaana's silence told him to speak, "did anyone survive?" He asked.

He must not have heard the false story that was being spread about yet.

"Yes, Osbert and Brida. They were away, courting in the woods when it happened. They are safe, but your bloodkin none of them." Khaana spoke carefully.

Ragnar clenched his fists from were he sat on his cot. "Why did you not stop it?" He questioned her quietly.

"Pardon me?" Khaana thought to him her eyes narrowing into a glare he could not see. "You heard me." He rumbled.

"I was with Uhtred and Brida, they were away with no protection and -"

"But you serve my father, he was the one the gods sent you to, had you been there you could have stopped it." Ragnar thought these thing to Khaana in a slow anger.

"Are you finished? I am of the gods but I am not a god. I am not all knowing, nor all seeing - I get visions, rarely. You know this." Khaana said, a stillness in her that Ragnar could feel blanket him, she felt colder. 

"Had I been there I'd be burned alive with them or stole away by Kjartan and Osbert, Brida and yourself would be alone. I am here to protect and serve those left living." Khaana's firm and steady words slowly twisted into a deep hiss.

"But don't take that tone with me as I have been covered in burned flesh from stealing away as many of Earl Ragnar's burning wounds as I could as he fought a flame, I smelled his scorched flesh and ended those that I could in a death filled with fear. I did what I could in the time that I had. I was there. We, were there." She said.

Ragnar sat in silence glowering at the floor. "Have you noting to say? Should I make you feel it?" Khaana asked softly, Ragnar grabbed his nose as a horrifying sent pierced his senses. "No." He said.

"You're sure? You are angry not because I didn't do my duty. But because you blame yourself. Allow me to show you what you were spared." Khaana said, Ragnar's skin tingled with a growing heat as if sitting to close to a fire and the smell grew.

"Khaana, no!" He called to her, and as if blown away by the wind, the smell and the heat fell away from him.

"Sorry, I should not have...that was poorly of me." He said. "I know you hurt, Ragnar. But I won't be your's to take it out on. Come home,  and Osbert will face this with you. He needs you, you are his brother and he yours." Khaana thought a warmth brought back into her words.

"I will, not now but as soon as I can manage." Ragnar said.

Khaana found herself pulled from the connection as she was pushed forward. She fell onto a stoney ground.

"Hey! Ubba wants her untarnished!  She is no common wench! Do you wish us cursed!" Storri scolded the sword Dane. "Be gone." He added.

Khaana lifted herself off the floor, Storri's hand held out to her. "I am sorry, they do not know what it is they handle." He said nervously. "Relax, Seer, I will not curse you." She said swatting away his hand and getting to her feet alone.

"Whom were you speaking with, you're  eyes were looking beyond." He asked. "Ubba says you can communicate through the ears of the mind." Storri stated.

"Thats no concern of yours. Where is Ubba?"  Khaana asked sharply. "Away, with Guthrum. Taking vengeance against the Saxons. He should be returning very soon, he was to be here before your arrival, must have encountered a bit of trouble." Storri explained quickly, his voice trembling under Khaana's gaze.

Khaana looked upon him with a glaze of boredom across her dark eyes.

"I, I can get you food and- and drink" he offered uneasily "I've been well fed by what used to be Ironside's men. I need nothing." Khaana said. Her eyes wandering up to a man hanging from a cross by ropes.