Chapter 20

May 2005

I’d survived the year. Junior year was not the best and I was really hoping that when senior year came that everything would be fine. The initial excitement and anticipation of summer coming was vanished by now. The thoughts of spending days back home in Baltimore with all my friends, seeing my family, no school, no Kayla, stress free were all but distant dreams now. All because there’d be no Alex. June was approaching fast and Alex would be off to England for two and a half months. What I dreaded before was now a dream come true. I stretched my full body out releasing the stress. My leg hit something that let out a moan. Good, I wasn’t the only one in pain after last night. Rex was asleep in the comfort of Rian’s arms. She turned to look at me and her eyelids fluttered open and she gave me a weak smile. It was awesome that Jack, Rian, Zack and Heather all came up to our schools end of year party. Alex stayed away. Jack and Alex had made up and were best friends yet again. I didn’t mind it of course, he was always Jack’s best friend and I wasn’t stopping that. It wasn’t until she moved I noticed Heather curled in beside me and Jack alongside her. There was a faint smell of booze and vomit but as far as I remembered, nothing terrible had happened. My tights were slightly ripped and my white and black Muse shirt now had a big red punch stain on it from when Kayla “tripped” last night and managed to get it in my hair and all down my clothes as well. I got up off Rex’s bed (who had kindly let us all crash at her place) and padded to the bathroom, trying not to trip over any bodies lying on the floor. The last time I’d seen Jenna and Zack the night before, they’re lips had collided and neither of them seemed to want to separate. Everyone was a couple now. It hurt me seeing everyone so happy in a relationship when I was still grieving the loss of mine. Thoughts of Alex raced through my mind. His laugh, his face, his voice, how he sang. I shuddered trying to let go of the memories but unlike photographs, they never seemed to fade away.

Alex P.O.V.

There was a pounding in my head that wanted my brain to melt. How much had I drunk last night? I groaned and tossed in the bed. I suddenly became conscious of someone kissing and biting at my neck. No, I was dreaming. Isabel and I had broken up almost a month ago. The small fragile body next to me moved closer to me making me feel warmer. I opened my eyes. My room was dark before things came into focus. Oh shit.

“Oh Lexy you’re awake!” she giggled. Her hand ran over my chest before she crashed her lips against mine. There was a taste of alcohol off her. We’d both been pretty wasted the night before. Her legs wrapped around my waist as she deepened the kiss. I tried my best not to lead her on anymore but when there was a naked pretty girl in your bed it was kind of difficult. Finally I pulled together the strength to break away.

“Lisa, sweetheart, I’m going downstairs to get some food. I’m starving.  Um, you can go wash up or something. There are towels in that press over there!” I pulled on my pants and ran out the door.

My mom was in the kitchen – she didn’t look impressed.

“Alexander, who was she?” she asked. Her tone left no room for a joke.

“That’s Lisa mom.” I muttered looking down at the floor.

“I did not raise my boy to think it’s okay to cheat on their girlfriend! Especially not one like Isabel, she’s part of the family! Alex I still can’t understand what’s come over you lately.” She sighed. I scooted past her into the kitchen ignoring her comment. “Have you told Isabel yet?” her voice was following into the kitchen.

“Who? Isabel? Yeah.” I searched the cupboards looking for something to eat, and something to drink later.

“Why have you suddenly become so horrible to this girl? She’s been your girlfriend for the past two years!” my mom had gone crazy. She rubbed her forehead clearly as frustrated with me as I was with myself.

“I broke up with her mom.” The words made my chest ache but I kept a cool face.

“What?!” she was freaking out. “In good God’s name Alexander William why wasn’t I told this? Why did you do that?”

“England,” I said through a mouthful of cornflakes. “ And mom, like you said; she was my girlfriend of two years. Needed a new chick. Can’t keep the same thing forever.” I shrugged. Over time, I’d finally convinced myself that this was true. That I didn’t need Isabel and she didn’t need me. Part of me knew that this was a lie. I needed her. I needed her just to feel good about myself and to feel happy and I knew she was the same. The other part of me was the part listening to what I was telling it. Isabel and I were done, there was nothing else about it.

“Alex, I feel like I don’t even know my own son anymore.” She was welling up. Oh shit. “You see this is exactly why we’re-”

“Oh fuck off mom. You can’t make me do it and you won’t.” I propped my chin on my elbow and stared her dead in the eyes.

“The only son I have left and I don’t even know him anymore.” She whispered before storming out of the room. Now that hit home.

Isabel’s P.O.V.

When I came out of the bathroom, Rex’s room was polluted with noise. People looking for their clothes, Jack was singing at the top of his lungs, Rex and Rian seemed very cozy with each other in the corner.

“Hey basic bitch, go put some clothes on we’re going out for food.” Heather said handing me a pair of jeans. Jack caught her around the waist and swung her around making her squeal. He started to kiss her neck. I turned on my heal so I wouldn’t interrupt their intimacy. At the other side of me, Zack and Jenna had decided to play a game of sucking faces too. I sighed. All the couples around me made me feel uncomfortable, like I shouldn’t have been there or something. Rian noticed and broke away from Rex walking past Jack and nudging him to stop. Rian walked over to Rex’s desk and turned on her laptop.

“Is, go and get dressed. Now.” Jack ordered pointing towards the bathroom. I rolled my eyes and went into the bathroom. When I came out the second time, everyone was muttering surrounding the laptop.

“What a bastard.”

“He’s going to fucking get it when we get home.”

“She can’t see this, she’ll be crushed.”

“What are you talking about?” I frowned walking towards them. All six heads snapped up trying to distract me from whatever was on the screen. Rian was frantically clicking while Heather grabbed my hand and pulled me downstairs and everyone followed trying to change the topic and make excuses for what they were looking at. Shit, I must have done something really stupid last night and photos went online. That’s the only thing it could be, right? I was probably better off not knowing and letting them fix it anyway.

“Come on vámonos. Everybody let’s go!” Jack sang the Dora the Explorer song. It reminded me of the first time we got a job babysitting his little cousin and the child vomited from eating a box of crayons. We never got asked back again. Jack turned to me before we left and kissed my forehead before leading us all out the door.

Alex’s P.O.V.

I scrolled down my MySpace checking on what had happened last night. Shit, there it was. A picture of Lisa and I, lip locked on a couch in whoever the fuck’s house it was. Isabel would see that. Worse, Jack would see it.

“Hey Lexy,” she whispered in my ear. She came up behind me and draped her arms around my shoulders and kissed my cheek. Did she think we were together now? “Oh, wow.” She giggled noticing the picture on the screen. I scrolled down to more pictures not necessarily kissing but inappropriate ones. Yup I was screwed. She started biting and kissing my neck making me feel uncomfortable. I needed to tell her I couldn’t be with her. I didn’t want to be with her. I turned my head slightly towards her when she attacked my lips. She moved towards me and sat on my lap wrapping her legs around my waist deepening the kiss. Well, I guess I could enjoy it while it lasted.   

*Note: I have absolutely nothing against Lisa Ruocco. I in no way hate her (sorry if you do!) She was planned to be in it from the start before the whole Lisex/Taylex thing. Anyway sorry if you love her or hate her, I don't mean to offend anyone and sorry for this chapter being so boring again! Filler chapters suck*