Chapter 29

December 2005

“Merry Christmas Izzy, I’m your Secret Santa.” He smiled handing me a small silver rectangular shaped parcel.

“Aw thank you Lex!” I said and wrapped my arms around his neck to hug him. I turned back to my locker.

“Are you not going to open it?” he pouted.

“Am I allowed?” I asked excitedly, playing along.

“Yes!” he smiled. I laughed tearing off the shiny silver paper.

“Alex…”

“Now don’t say anything. I knew you really wanted it months ago so I bought it for you then but I never got a chance to give it to you before I went away. I know it’s a bit over the thirty dollar limit but it was meant for you and I really want you to have it. Plus your name is engraved into it.” He laughed nervously biting his lip.

“Alex I love it! I love you! Thank you.” I said hugging him again, this time squeezing him as tight as I could. He laughed choking in my squeeze but I didn’t really care.

“You’re welcome, I’m happy you like it.” He replied. He took the delicate silver locket out of the box and tied it around my neck. “There’s one slight problem though…”

“What could be the problem? It’s perfect.” I frowned.

“Open it.” He bit his lip nervously again. Inside, the locket had a picture of me and the Millers. The other side had a picture of our big group of friends. Both pictures everyone looked happy, even me.

“I don’t see anything wrong, they’re both awesome pictures. You know me too well.” I frowned.

“Now check the back.” He mumbled. “Isabel, love you forever and always. Alex”

“Aw Alex I love it. Thank you.” I hugged him for the third time, it had been the most physical contact we had since he came back. “I love you.” I whispered

“Forever and always.”

“Bitches!” Jack bounded into us. “Christmas vacation!” he squealed “Pretty necklace.”

“Thank you, it’s from Alex.” I smiled proudly.

“Not Matt?” he asked confused.

“Nope.” I said shortly. Conversation on my new boyfriend wasn’t too popular with Alex. “I better go. Thanks again Alex.” I smiled and walked away.

“So you and Alex are on good terms?”

“Oh yeah, totally. He’s not too keen on Matt though.” I shrugged.

“You couldn’t expect him to be sweetie could you?” my therapist said. I shook my head and sighed. “Can I see the locket?” she asked. I went over to Jill and showed her the locket. She smiled as she admired it. “It’s gorgeous.” I nodded in agreement. “Any news on when he’s moving?”

“I think his parents are letting him stay to finish school then it’s off to the UK.” I said.

“And nothing else has happened between you two?”

“Well no not really. Ever since he’s come back though we’ve been really close. Like I am the only person he can confide in. I don’t really mind it though, I’m just scared one of us will get too attached.”

“Jack and Heather?”

“Still my best friends.”

“And the cutting?”