Chapter 32

April 2006

Alex P.O.V

 Isabel was right. Now was the time to be enjoying myself. I should have told the guys ages ago, when I told Isabel. I played with the sleeves of my hoodie as I walked onto the Barakat's street. Rows and rows of big similar houses. I always knew Jacks though because it always had music that could be heard at the other end of the street. The rain still hadn't stopped, it was pouring. The drops trickling down my face reminded me of the night before. She hadn't hesitated or she didn't pull away. She didn't say anything either as we walked back to the car. Maybe I should talk to her before Jack in case things go wrong with him. I really couldn't expect her to come back to me, it'd be unfair on us both. I quickly took the strings from my hoodie out of my mouth, Izzy hated when I chewed them. I tried to open the door but it had been locked. I rang the door bell and banged the door with my fist.

"Yo Jack, Iz, open up! Any Barakat at home?" I yelled. It was unlike them to have the door locked, I always walked in. After all the time I had spent in the fucking rain I was going to end up with a cold. Suddenly the door swung open. Heather stood there looking stressed and that she'd rather be anywhere else.

"Hey Alex, now really isn't a good-" she said.

"I'm here to talk to Isabel." I said.She seemed to be indifferent to the fact that I was being drenched by the rain.

"Alex I really really-" she tried again.

"Please. It's important." I begged. Her eyes looked sad but she finally opened back the door and let me in.

I walked up the stairs, Heather closely behind me. Jacks bedroom door creeped open and Isabel slipped out. She looked just as worn out as Heather. Her eyes met mine. The were dull and sad like she'd lost hope. 

"I'm sorry." she murmered then slipped into her own bedroom. She obviously didn't want to talk right now so I decided to tackle Jack first.The music wasn't as loud as normal, I didn't think that was a good sign. Jack lay face down on his bed with his headphones on not wanting to be disturbed. I realised the music I could hear was from his earphones. As I closed the door, he looked around. His face was expressionless. He looked me up and down and put his head back in his pillow.

"Hey Barakat, what's up?" I sat down on the office chair facing his computer. Although this was Jack's house, he's room was a box compared to Isabel. I knew this was the way he liked it. When his older siblings moved out he was offered their larger rooms but he stayed in his small smelly box.

"Fuck off Alex. I don't want to talk to you of all fucking people." he muffled through his pillow.

"Why? Dude what's up?" so I was the reason he was pissed off.

"Didn't even think of telling your best friend you were moving? Or am I even your best friend anymore? How am I supposed to know, you never talk to me anymore." he turned to face me. He pulled off his earphones. Jack was rarely serious unless something had upset him. Or as he said the "vibes" around him were negative. 

"Wait how did-" he knew. This was my worst nightmare; him finding out before I told him.

"Isabel. Oh yeah I forgot, you tell your ex-girlfriend before your fucking best friend."

"Because it was fucking harder to try tell you." I yelled. I didn't mean to yell. I'd the intention of coming over here and maybe Jack getting a bit upset. That was the thing with Jack. Around me or Heather or Isabel he wasn't afraid of being upset or showing that he was. 

"That's still no fucking excuse. I mean how long have you been keeping this from me?" he asked.

"I don't know." I shrugged. I was ashamed now. I'd known almost a year now and I hadn't told them. His eyes ate into me. "Almost a year."

"What?" his voice was hurt.

"I'm sorry man, I was kinda hoping it was all going to fall apart but here I am telling you months before." I shrugged. Jack sat up from his bed and wrapped his arms around me.

"I'm really gonna miss you bud." he hugged me tight. I sighed with relief andhugged him back.

"I know exactly what you mean." I pulled away to look at him. "But hey, let's make the most of it?"

"Dur!" Jack mocked laughing. He pulled me in for another minute then let go. "Hey, what am I going to do without my best friend?" he said sadly.

"You'll always have Iz and Heather and the guys! There's always video chat and phone calls. Fuck time difference, I'd do anything for you man." I grinned. He chuckled and lay back.

"The guys don't know?"

"Nope. Just you, Isabel and I guess Heather." Jack nodded.

"I guess that's the end of All Time Low then." Jack pouted.

"I guess so."

Isabel P.O.V.

 I sat on the table, anxious about what was happening upstairs. Heather came over and slapped my hand away from my mouth, she hated when I bit my nails.

"Eat." she ordered placing the soup on front of me. I moaned. "Hey, you're the one who want prancing in the rain like a fucking movie character and made yourself sick. Eat the damn soup."

"Love you Heather." I groaned picking up the spoon.

"Love you too Izzy. That's why I made you soup to get better. Welcome." she grabbed my face and kissed my cheek, skipping upstairs with two bowls of soup. As Heather went up, I heard more footsteps come down. Alex. The front door opened and closed. Where was he gong? I needed to talk to him. I jumped up out of my seat and ran out the door. The rain was like bullets splashing on the ground. Alex was walking slowly in the rain down the road.

"Alex!" I yelled after him. His head turned around to look at me. He hesitated before carrying on. I stood in shock. Why did he not come back? I was wearing one of his old tshirts that hit mid thigh and a pair of shorts. I had no shoes, only fluffy socks. I was sick already, I might as well have risked it. I sprinted across the yard, the mud  squealching beneath my feet.

"Alex!" I shouted again.

"Isabel, what the fuck? Get back inside! You're going to be fucking sick for the rest of the year." he freaked.

"I don't care. Alex I need to talk to you but you walked off. It's important please." I shivered, my teeth were chattering.

"Isabel go ba-"

"Alex please." I begged.

"Do you know what Isabel? I don't want to talk to you about last night. I was right the whole time; it is over. I never should have become friendly with you again. I trusted you more than anyone these past few months and then you go off and tell. I really really had all my trust in you and you blew it. I'm sorry I might be being harsh but I'm angry. Now go back inside before you die. There is no discussion. We are over. For good." he turned on his heel and walked away. I watched him as he walked down the street. "Go back inside!" he yelled back to me without turning around. I was in total shock. I'd run after him, in the rain, in my pyjamas, to get turned down.

"Isabel! What the fuck are you doing out her?" Heather screamed at me. "Get your skinny ass back inside." she shrieked "You've finally gone stone mad Iz, you really have." she dragged me back home.