Chapter 52

Amanda's POV

So, the day came. Michael and Blanket fly back to LA. To attend his own memorial service. The children will be up on a stage, for everyone to see them without masks for the first time. I am a knot of nerves. Por Dios, what if something goes wrong? Michael says his disguise is absolutely 100% safe. For extra safety, he won't tell even me what he will look like.

He also disconnected the TV antenna yesterday evening. He is adamant about it: I will not watch that memorial.

"Baby, it will only make you feel worse than you already feel. You don't need to watch that crap."

"Then why..."

"Why I go along with this harebrained thing? Because Joseph wants it. And it is the last time he can milk money off me. I will give him this. And then he has no control anymore. Over us, over the children, over my music and my legacy. He is not in my will, not an official guardian of the children, not a part of my estate team. It's his last roll of the dice at the roulette table."

I nod. I know that Michael cannot antagonize his father, who knows of his new secret life. But this does not mean that I am less worried.

I drove in silence to the private airstrip. The small private plane was waiting and John was standing in its shadow looking out for us.

"Stay in the car, Amanda. Trust me, it's better."

I hugged Blanket and told him to be brave. Michael held Flor like he didn't want to let her go. Then he turned to me and gave me a soul searing kiss. Like the first and last kiss he'd ever give me.

I grabbed him by the lapels of his coat and looked in his eyes.

"You come back to me with the children. Comprendes?"

"Tonight, baby. Close to midnight. We will be back here."

"You'd better....Now go, before John thinks I'm holding you hostage or something."

I couldn't give two fucks about John, but I didn't want Michael to see me crying. Because as soon as the door of the plane closed and the engine started, my tears gushed out. I sat there in the car and watch the plane grow smaller and smaller in the distance. It turned into a dot, and then it was nothing.

I drove back disheartened. I really don't approve of this plan. It is too risky, but Michael wanted to be there and observer first hand. Not that he can just stand up and say "hey, that's not right". But he also wants to get the children as quickly as the memorial is over. Get them and bring them back here, where we are safe.

I tried to muster some courage. Nothing will go wrong.

"Flor, daddy will be back by midnight, bueno? He will come back with your brothers and sister. It's 10 am now...we will see him in about 13 hours from now. So, let's keep busy all this time, Okay?"

Flor looked at me and giggled. This little girl is such a positive force in my life!

I spent the day arranging the children's room. Now Prince and Blanket no longer share a bedroom. Each has grown up enough to need their privacy. I took extra care with Paris' room. I then said that I'm unfair, and went back to the boys' rooms and took extra care with them, too.

This took me about 3 hours. Ten more to go...I put on a movie to watch with Flor. She is still too young to understand Lord of the Rings. But it is a long movie, 3 hours long, and it is one of Michael's favourites. I understand why he likes it. Frodo and Sam are so small and helpless. But they are determined to do what is right and nothing stops them.

Michael is the same. He has been all alone against an industry that does not want substance, just glitz. He has the glitz, Lord he has it, in all those sparkly gloves and socks, the gold suit in History Tour. But what he is about is the substance, sending out important messages though his songs and shows.