Chapter 24

Amanda’s POV

My mother took note of my engagement ring but not much more. However, she seemed to shake in her convictions that Michael was up to no good. He actually invited both of us to attend Mass in the church and then have lunch with her. The children were curious to see service in a Catholic church, so here we were, all five of us, in our “Sunday clothes” as Michael joked, waiting for my mother at the church door. She came in her usual black dress and veil, her hair pulled back in a chignon. She hasn’t drunk at all for some time now, and she looks much better. Her skin is no longer sallow with red patches in the cheeks and her eyes are clear, no longer bleary.

“Your mother is still a beautiful woman. She shouldn’t let life pass by her”, commented Michael in a low voice, almost reading my mind.

“She has become suspicious of all men. If God’s angel came to her as a man, she would still turn him away. It’s simply a case of too much bad luck combined with her strict religious views.”

During service, I watched Michael with interest. So far, we didn’t talk what type of wedding we’re going to have. Personally, I would like a church wedding, a small one. But if it can’t be done in a Catholic church, I’ll take any other church, as long as I am married in the eyes of God.

By the same interesting coincidence, Michael opens the subject after we left my mother’s cottage. Lunch was delicious, the children had their fill and now all of them were taking a nap.

“I loved the music in the church…the choir, the organ…I’d like to have that for our wedding.”

My eyes open wide. We are sitting in my workshop and Michael watches my hands as I work on a piece of clay.

“Really?”

“Yes. I felt a very powerful spiritual presence in there…Like…God was really there with us.”
“So, you are inclined towards my faith?”

“Our joint faith is in God, Amanda. There are not barriers between us, like identification tags – you’re a Buddhist, you’re a Moslem, you’re a Christian – that seems very foolish to me, because God is only one and loves us all equally. He created us all, all races, colours, nations. But I would like to stand in front of that altar…and as the organ plays, Paris walks in and spreads flowers down the aisle….Prince is my best man….Blanket is the ring bearer…and you walk slowly, ready to make me the happiest man on earth.”

He is such a romantic and makes me turn to mush! I wipe my hands on my working apron and then hug him tight and kiss him all over the face. He grins at me and holds me in place, kissing me back, more passionately.

“Do you remember that movie with Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze? Ghost?”

“Mmm…yeah, I do…”

“Care to re-enact the pottery scene with me?”

His whisper is hot and sensual, his hands moving seductively up and down my body.

“The children….they could come in here any moment now….”

“They’re heavy sleepers, you know that…It takes a lot of energy to process all those empanadas they wolfed down at your mother’s.”

His voice is so persuasive and his hands found their way over my breasts, cupping them and squeezing my nipples between his fingers. I feel a pool of liquid forming in my womanhood and it is getting so hard to say no, when my body says yes. His lips are on my neck, placing soft butterfly kisses, while his hands continue to massage my breasts.

“You want to say yes, baby, I know you want to...Don’t be shy, give in to your feelings and live them out...I want to make love to you so badly right now...God, I need you so badly? Will you deny me?”