"Merci, mademoiselle."

They got back on to their bike and drove towards the house. As they slowed to a stop, there was already a welcoming committee waiting for them at the door, a red-headed girl of perhaps 18 and a bald man in a wheelchair.

"Bonjour," Remy said as he got off the bike. "Professeur Xavier, I presume?"

Rogue could tell from the increased use of French that he was as nervous as she felt.

"Indeed, and this is one of my students, Jean Grey. Would you like to come in?"

They nodded and followed the man inside. It was a school day so the mansion was relatively empty, save for a feral looking man who stood in a door way and watched them like criminals as they passed. They were led into a study, where a white haired woman was laying out a tea tray.

"Stormy?" asked Remy, with wonder in his voice.

She turned to the voice and broke into a wide smile. "Remy!"

Remy let go of Rogue's hand as Storm enveloped him in a hug.

"It's so good to see you again," the woman exclaimed as she pulled away and looked him over.

"And you."

Rogue felt a twinge of jealousy as she watched them, but she had no reason to doubt Remy so she stamped it down. She recognised this woman as the one who spoke to the senate, but of course Remy had been in a coma then so while she had told him all about it, he never seen the mutant in question.

"You look well." He smiled.

"I am well. And you?"

"I'm good, thank you."

Finally she seemed to notice his companion and turned to Rogue. "Who is your friend?"

"This is ma chère, Rogue." He put his arm around her shoulders. "Rogue, this is Stormy."

"Don't call me Stormy."

The women shook hands.

"Very pleased to meet you, Rogue. I hope you're keeping this one in line."

Storm seemed to give off an aura of calm and Rogue found herself warming to the older woman.

"I try." She didn't know how much this Storm knew about Remy's thieving, so she didn't want to give anything away.

"How do you two know each other?" Xavier asked.

Storm turned to him. "Do you remember I told you about the trouble I had down south a few years ago, when the Shadow Kind de-aged me? This is the young man who helped me, only he's not so young any more."

Jean, the professor and Storm shared a look that seemed to communicate something, then they all turned back to Remy and Rogue.

"Would you like some refreshments?" Jean asked.

"We're fine, thank you," Rogue answered. Call her paranoid but just because Remy had a friend here, didn't mean that she trusted these people.

"Then please take a seat." The professor gestured to a couch rather than the formal chairs by the desk. Remy and Rogue sat side by side, holding hands. The professor's chair faced them and Jean sat in the free armchair. Storm left the room. "So, how can we help you?"

"Don't you already know?" Rogue asked. From the little silent conversation earlier, she had guessed than he was a telepath.

"I confess I did try to read your minds to see if perhaps you were a threat to the institute." He didn't sound at all upset that they had caught him out. "Unfortunately your mind is exceedingly difficult to read, Rogue, and Gambits mind appears to be shielded. All I could detect was an intention to come here from Rogue, and a good deal of trepidation from the both of you. However, I do not believe you mean us any harm, so I decided to meet with you. Please be assured though, I do not make a habit of invading peoples thoughts without permission."