Clarity (Jerome Valeska)

Song: Clarity - Zedd

I lived with a circus. A circus that wandered around through each cities and towns to perform their show. I was adopted by them, the Haly's Circus. I was raised by all of them. They treated me kindly since I was young. But that just because they want me to perform like them. To help them.

I was trained to be a tightrope walker since I was nine. I started from a tightrope which wasn't much high. It was a hard time to expert that. It took a long time and pain. Sometimes, they cheer me up and sometimes they just kept pushing me to do it better. They might reviled me until I cried but that's because they want me to try harder.

I understand them.

But there was one person. One person who always cheer me up, no matter I did it right or wrong. He's a boy who understands me the best. He's my friend, my brother, my family. Everytime I felt sad or depressed, I would just run to him and tell him everything. He listened and gave me advice. We've grown together. We know each other best. We know that our lives are not different. Our lives have gone through a lot. We all have scars in our heart but I know he has more than me.

His name is Jerome. Jerome Valeska. His mother, Lila, was never kind to him. What she did to him doesn't seem like a mother treats her son at all. When he was nine, he was beat up by his mother and a man. It was his birthday. I saw everything and knew everything but I just couldn't do anything.

But the circus doesn't have only Jerome who was around my age. There was Jeremiah Valeska. He was a kind boy too, but I'm not close to him. He appeared to be a shy boy and always kept himself in the trailer. So I get along with Jerome than Jeremiah, his twin. But one day, Lila sent Jeremiah away with a reason I don't know and don't really want to ask Jerome since he didn't seem to be happy about it.

As days passed by, my pain started to grow and they never stop. The pressure I always got from other performances when I did something wrong or not good enough in the show. The pain which I got from the practice and the pain from those words they gave me like knives cutting through my heart. But of course, Jerome would cheer me up with some jokes and something he said we will rule the world together with these pains we got as our weapons.

I thought we would escape this circus together and live happily like family without any problems and any pasts holding us back.

But what I thought was just a thought of a little girl in her dream. The reality is different.

Jerome killed his mother after we planned to leave...

"Jerome, what have you done?" I asked nervously, staring at Lila's lifeless body.

Jerome, with a bloody hatchet in his hand stared at his dead mother on the floor with a small smile and his smile grew wider when he looked at me. I don't know if I just gone crazy or what but I wasn't scared of him at all. I was worried he would get arrested. I was worried we would never have those dreams we always dreamed together since we were little.

"It's okay, doll. I just chopped a cold hearted whore." He smiled and walked closer to me. "I'm done with her."

"Jerome, what will you do with her corpse?" I asked and slowly wiped blood away from his face. "We have to clean this up before anyone-"

I didn't even finish my sentence, a sound of someone walking closer to us made me jumped. Stood there, was a familiar blind old man with a staff in his hand. Paul Cicero. I remembered him as a kind and warm old man. And he's here, he could help us.

" Mr. Cicero, I-I need your help." I walked to him, pleading him to help me and Jerome.

I convinced Jerome to tell Mr.Cicero the truth that he killed his mom, Lila and he did. He told Mr.Cicero and asked him to help with the crime scene. Luckily, Mr.Cicero was a kind man who supported me and Jerome, he might think we were just kids, so he decided to help. He let Jerome cleaned himself up in his trailer and told him to scratch the satanic stuff on the hatchet and threw it off Arkham bridge.

I thought it was over...

But I was wrong again...

"The detective found the corpse, Jerome!" I whispered aggressively. I was worried too. "They found the corpse!"

Jerome was standing there infront of me, he looks all fine. His small smile plastered on his face. With the situation like this, how can he manage to smile? With the situation which he could get arrested anytime.

"Calm down, doll. You're the one who said Mr.Cicero can help us." He said and walked closer to me. His hand ruffled my hair.

"But I'm scared you would get arrested, Jerome." I said with teary eyes. "I can't let that happen."

Jerome stared deep into my eyes, his hand gently wiped my tears away. It's a gentle touch I always get from him everytime I dive down into the abyss of sadness. We know we would never let each other down.

"I will be okay." He smiled widely and giggled.

Again.

He is Jerome Valeska. He's the boy who always help me and always stay by my side, no matter what. He smiled at me on his ninth birthday when he was beaten up and cried outside the trailer. He saw me looking at him, crying because I couldn't handle seeing him in pain but a little girl like me just couldn't do anything. So he smiled to make me think he was okay and not to worry about him. But inside, I know he wasn't.

Now, he's smiling at me, say I could rule the world all by myself without him. I know he knows that's not true. I'm just a weak little girl who was adopted by the Haly's circus and met him. I was a broken girl, in pain and almost lost the sanity.

No, I would never leave him.

And yes, we ended up in a police station, sitting next to each other with Mr.Cicero next to Jerome. Three of us are here to talk with Detective Gordon. He knew the truth. He knew Jerome was the one who killed his own mother, Lila.

Surprisingly, Detective Gordon also knows another truth. The truth that Mr.Cicero is Jerome's father. That's why he helped him. That's why he helped us. Jerome tried to refuse that but he can't run away from truth.

And he lost it.

His insanity showed out. Everyone in the room was shocked except me. I already know his true side...

"Why did you help him?" Detective Gordon asked me calmly.

"I love him." I answered.

"Your love is a tragedy." He said before looking at Jerome and then back at me. "And insanity."

It doesn't matter...

"May I ask you, Detective?" I asked.

He nodded.

"If our love is tragedy, then why is he my remedy?" I asked calmly. "And...if our love is insanity, then why is he my clarity?"

Jerome Valeska is the only love I've ever known in my life.

"Because we're a piece of each other."