She reminded me of how much I missed my own crazy hair. I had been bleaching my hair so much it felt like a bunch of hay so I had cut it all of and now it was just below my ears. My natural curls were very visible and I think I looked like a granny. I had dyed it a shade that was very close to my natural boring dark blond hair color and had decided to just let it grow out before I did anything fancy to it again. Looking at this cool girl I had totally regretted that decision.

It was very late when we arrived at the campus. We were given keys and some of us were given a present from our host family. They had given me a pink bag with the au pair logo on it and it was filled with a lot of stuff including a water bottle, a t-shirt and tickets to our trip to NYC. There was more stuff in it than that I just cannot recall.

I went straight to bed after finding my room and noticed my roomies were already in deep sleep so quietly I walked through the room and found an empty bed. Though it was extremely hot in New York and the campus had no air conditioning I managed to fall asleep very fast.

***

One of the first things I noticed was different from Europe was the food. I was used to this super healthy plant based diet with a lot of variation but here it was just a bowl of what looked like decaying salad. Ever since I had started a new life style in 2014 after breaking up with my Mc. Donald's addicted partner had I been very focused on nutrition and exercise. It also made it easier for me to get through school and sleep at night. Wow, two more skeletons to look at, insomnia, which is very relevant for this story, and my lack of caring about school. I had taken a long route out to get where I was sitting right there at a campus cafeteria in New York digging through a salad.

After I had graduated from 9th grade I had taken a year off to just work. That was in 2009, in 2010 my dad decided to place me at a boarding school and even after I had done a lot better in 10th grade I still had my weakness called math, I barely passed it and I could not be accepted into the high school I wanted to go to. Instead I took two years at a business school, which was not the most advanced school. In fact you just learn about sales, services and decorating a shop. Something introverted me is never going to do anyways. However, it was a step for me to be accepted into the business high school, which was the dream. They had a language class that included three study trips, one to Brussels, one to Spain and one to China. It all sounded good to me. But then in the summer of 2013 my anxiety had kicked in and I was scared to death about starting on a new school. It turned out it was that damn Pisces thing again I had any reason to be scared because that class was awful. Their coldness was shining through, the atmosphere was bad and I was all alone.

My partner, Adrian, decided to start in the class too to help me through. Adrian was stuck in the welfare system and said it was time to move on from it. This was an unhealthy decision. After having no intension of letting go of the welfare system Adrian had lot of absence. I also started having a lot of absence and only showed up for the exact amount of days I had to, to still receive my monthly student stipend.

In December 2013 we broke up for good after 4 years of being on and off and non-stop fighting over the smallest and most ridiculous things. Adrian stopped at the school in January and I continued until June when I was kicked out because I broke the rules of exams.

I was so done with that place and they would not let me leave, because it would make them lose some fond raising from the government, so finally I decided to go to an exam and just sit with crossed arms and say nothing, that got me kicked out. 

Afterwards I went to a different high school, which was for adults who had been busy with work and now decided to take an education.

I was 20 at this point and I was all devoted to finally finish high school.