Valerie shifted closer to me so both our thighs were pressed together. The sudden warm body contact took me by surprise regardless off the fact that I was still holding her head up by her chin.

She slowly grabbed my hand from her face and pulled it down to her lap. My eyes dropped to our hands, her pale fingers intertwined with my much bronze ones. She tightened the hold and squeezed which forced me to look back up to her. Her hair was pushed to the side but some strands fell from the side and it lay lightly on her face. Her eyes held deep emotions and I had an thought that maybe I triggered something.

"No one can be prepared for that." She whispered, shaking her head at me slowly.

"I don't know how long she got left. She won't tell me." I said back, equally in a low voice. Valerie's other free hand reached up and clasped the side of my cheek. She pulled my face in closer and dropped her forehead on mine.

"Shar you have to stay strong. For her."

I swallowed. "I'm falling apart every waking moment and fuck do I try to stay strong."

This was the first time I was talking about my daily nightmares. I haven't even told my best friend Ellie yet. But talking to Valerie, who just three weeks ago was the biggest bitch I came across and just two weeks ago we made an agreement and just an hour ago she was the one that needed the comfort, it put my mind at ease. Not fully. But a snippet of the area was currently at peace.

"Do you think she'll survive?" I asked, not missing the hope in my own voice. Will she survive? If I lost my Mom, there was no telling what I could end up like.

"You have to hold on baby."

"She isn't the same anymore - with after taking her meds, she's my mom but she's not as well."

"Hold on."

"She hasn't told anyone. Didn't want to tell me either. But I'm her only son and I know when my own fucking mother is dying."

Valerie snaked her hand around my neck and pressed us closer. I nearly collapsed into her hold but I held on. Held on because she kept whispering. "Hold on baby."

I dropped my head into the hollow of her neck, angry at the world, at the doctors for not helping my mom. But then I was drained from every possible emotion to even move.

.

.

Valerie

I had my legs thrown across Shar's lap and to say I was dying from embarrassment would be an understatement. I didn't know how my legs got there but I do vaguely remember Shar tugging on my shoes, dropping them on the floors. Following event I had my legs across his lap.

I held my second mug of tea that Perri - Shar's kickass Mom - made close to my lips, hoping the massive circumference hid the furious blush on my face.

Because Perri was sitting on the other sofa, the house phone stuck to her ear but she spared us a few glances here and there. With a few smiles here and there as well.

The television was on and Shar looked fully focused on the current tv show playing. I couldn't even watch without losing focus because I was practically straddling a boy with his mother sitting less than two feet away from us.

I took another sip of my tea and carefully placed it on the side table over my head. Shar slowly title his head to face me and then I suddenly spotted the sly smirk playing on his lips.

This imbecile!

He was playing me!

I gawked at his downright cheekiness and distrcreetly kicked him with the heel of my foot.