00:04

.

Valerie

.

- two days later -

A loud knock came at my door, waking me up instantly. I sat up in my bed, the pillow I usually have on my stomach flying to the floor. "Valerie!"

I let out an inappropriate screech, chucking another pillow to the floor. "You don't have to scream Melissa!" I yelled back just as the door opened and a cheery Melissa entered. Her blonde hair was flowing down in soft curls and she was wearing a short floral dress. I blinked a few times, my eyes slowly trailing down to her stomach.

She caught my look and beamed at me. "We're having a family breakfast and the father-" she cut short immediately and bit her lip. I furrowed my eyebrows at her, slightly disorientated but I still wanted her to finish that sentence off. When a few seconds passed and Melissa still hadn't continued on, I finished it off for her.

"The father of your baby?" I slowly asked, raising one eyebrow. Did our parents even know she was pregnant?

Melissa entered my room and shut the door behind her, clutching on the handle still. She leaned back on the door as an uncomfortable look overcame her face. "We're planning on dropping the news together over breakfast."

I raised another eyebrow as I stared at my younger sister. "You are kidding me right?"

She shook her head at me, looking all shades of serious.

I narrowed my eyes at her. "You're not kidding me?"

She shook her head again. 

I was at loss for words as I slowly climbed down my bed. I turned my back to her, making my bed quickly and debating whether to throw my sister out the window to knock some sense in her or to just smile at her and tell her I'll be at breakfast.

"I know they'll flip since I'm not-"

I pivoted around quickly, my long hair whipping across my face. "They will flip out alright!" I whispered at her, looking at my sister incredulously. She was so serious I couldn't even talk her out of it. "They will kill you."

Melissa stared at me. "Someone will kill me after today but I know it won't be them." 

I frowned at her and before I could ask who that person was, she ran out the door. "Breakfast in ten!" She yelled as she disappeared.

.

.

I got ready in record time, snaking my legs into a tight pair of jeans and throwing a simple pale green blouse over my head. I untangled my hair with my fingers and applied some spray to make it look a tad bit alive and styled. I applied simply make-up around my eyes and coated my lips with a cherry red lipstick.

I smiled at myself in the reflecting but I was worried. For my sister. Our parents were going to kill her and then ask further questions if they found out she was pregnant. She was still a senior for goodness sake!

My phone beeped and I raced back inside my bedroom and picked it up from my bedside table. I read the text from Luca, my boyfriend.

Just so you know, you're amazing.

I blushed at the sweetness and put my phone down and walked out my room. I ambled across the hallway, down the stairs and just as I was about to enter the dining room, the door bell rung. I turned around, wondering who could be here early this morning.

Just as I was about to peek through the peephole, Melissa came running from the dining room. "Wait wait! Let me open that and you go sit down," she said quickly and quite breathlessly.