Kenai and Briar

I was sitting in class chewing on my pencil. I rolled the end around in my mouth, twirling it, bored. The lights seemed bright against the blackness outside. Thick black storm clouds hung in the sky and rain pattered lightly against the window.

The day was still young, but I could tell it was going to be long. Minutes moseyed on by and even Ludicolo's teaching seemed heavy.

A gentle knock at the door pulled me from my reverie and paused the lesson. Ludicolo answered the door with a smile and wave. "Principal Delphox! What's shaking?"

Delphox sighed and rubbed her temples, as if she was having a rough day. "Mr Ludicolo, please."

Ludicolo chuckled and gestured placatingly. "Alright, alright. What can I do for you?"

"You can introduce yourself to your new student. Ring any bells?" Delphox asked sarcastically.

Ludicolo's grin fell. "That's today?" He asked, checking his wrist though he wasn't wearing a watch.

Delphox sighed again. "Please, just... do your job."

Ludicolo chuckled again. "Of course, when have I not?"

Delphox walked away groaning. Ludicolo grinned at his class and quiet snickers were heard across the room. The Teacher chuckled and looked outside the door. "Come on in and introduce yourself."

Ludicolo walked back into the room, closely followed by a Poochyena. The dark type proudly stood front and centre, grinning cheekily at his classmates. His eyes seemed to scan the room before landing on me. He winked in my direction and I groaned, shaking my head.

The Poochyena smiled and introduced himself. "Hi all, my name's Kenai. Seventeen years old, fast, smart, and mildly flirtatious."

The response was a mixture of giggling, greeting and groaning. I was of course, as before, groaning. Ludicolo chortled at the introduction and waved to a seat, Fable's old seat. "Go on Kenai, you can sit over there."

Kenai walked cockily down the aisles, grinning at people and pumping his brows. I just rolled my eyes. Did our class really trade Fable for this guy? Arceus, what is wrong with you?

Kenai sat at his desk and faced the front, listening intently as Ludicolo restarted teaching. I shook my head in disgust and resumed rolling my pen around my mouth while looking out the window. Though, I couldn't exactly see because a fat black and grey head was in the way.

******

"Hey."

I turned my head at the voice and spotted a familiar Poochyena approaching. I rolled my eyes and Lily smacked the back of my head. "Be nice," she hissed.

"I'll try," I replied sarcastically.

"Hi there, name's Kenai," the Poochyena said, grinning.

"Rose, this is Lily," I replied bluntly.

"Cool, nice to meet you both," he answered casually, ignoring my harsh tone. "As you probably guessed, I'm new around here. Don't you suppose you'd be willing to show me around?"

"This place isn't that big, you'll be fine," I responded with a fake grin.

"Woah, Rosie, chill."

"Don't call me Rosie!" I shouted, snapping suddenly.

Kenai and Lily both looked at me with shocked expressions. I stuttered wordlessly and just closed my mouth, leaning back and crossing my arms stubbornly.

After a moment Kenai's grin returned. "Okay then, no Rosie. You're more like a Briar anyways."

At that point, I'd heard enough. I scoffed and turned on my heel, walking away pointedly. Lily was left to watch me walk off, confused.

The little water lizard laughed nervously. "Sorry, Kenai, she's just... sorting some stuff out. Hasn't been herself in a while."

"Well, maybe she just needs a little help."

"Believe me, I've tried," she said, sounding exhausted.

Kenai just chuckled lightly. "Don't worry, she'll come around."

Lily gave him a sceptical look. "What makes you so sure?"

He shrugged. "I believe laughter is the best medicine, and me, I'm hilarious."