Fable, Right?

"You're staring again," giggled Lily.

I rolled my eyes. "I don't care, I've decided."

"Decided what?" Lily asked, nibbling on a sandwich.

I stood decisively. "I'm going to introduce myself."

Lily wobbled unsteadily on my shoulder.

"What? Really?"

"Yeah," I nodded.

The tiny lizard Pokémon smiled and nodded. "Right, you go girl. I'll be right here if you need me," she said as she turned invisible.

I sighed and shook my head. She's not so good at meeting new Pokémon. Oh well, I can do this. Yeah, I got this.

I looked across the schoolyard to where Fable was sitting alone. He didn't seem to be doing anything, just lying on his back, staring at the sky.

I gulped and marched across the grassy field until I was standing beside him. His eyes were closed, and he didn't seem to know I was there. I gathered at my courage and smiled shakily at him. "Um, hello."

His eyes opened and he looked at me curiously.

"Hi," I said nervously.

Fable rolled onto his stomach and stood up. He smiled and waved hello.

"You're name's Fable, right?"

He nodded.

"Well Fable, it's nice to meet you. I'm Rose, and this is Lily." I gestured to the invisible lizard on my shoulder.

Fable frowned and tilted his head. I sighed and poked her gently.

"Fine," grumbled Lily.

She turned visible, smiling awkwardly and waving nervously. Fable smiled and his eyes widened. Suddenly, he disappeared. My mouth fell open and I looked around, but I couldn't see him. A moment later he reappeared, grinning cheekily.

"Wow," I whispered. "You know, I saw you performing the other night, it was really cool."

He smiled happily.

I tilted my head. "So, you don't speak, but you communicate through illusions?"

He nodded.

"That's... cool," I said.

At that moment the lunch-bell rang, signalling the end of break.

I smiled at Fable. "I guess I'll see you in class. It was nice meeting you!"

I smiled and waved goodbye. He simply smiled and waved back.

As I was walking towards my locker Lily sighed. "I get we've got a new friend now and all that, but how are we supposed to understand him when he won't talk?"

"I'm sure it'll work out, and in the meantime, I'll discover the truth behind Silent Fable."

"I'm not so sure that's a good idea," said Lily.

I shrugged, almost knocking her from my shoulder. "Either way, I'm sure we'll find out eventually."

"Do we really want to?"

******

"How was school today?" Dad asked.

"Good, I hung out with Lily and made a new friend," I answered.

"Oh, what's her name?"

"His name's Fable."