2 - A Place of Duty

"So...what does Kant mean by 'duty'?'

Professor Dixon turned from the chalkboard, and took in the gallery of young, blank faces.

"He means that morally correct behavior is about motivation. If you're acting from a place of duty, that means you're not expecting to benefit. It also means you aren't doing what you would normally have done, or taking the path of least resistance. You're acting specifically out of duty to others. And according to Kant, moral correctness is more about motivation than outcome, therefore, if you mean well, that's more important than if your actions have the desired result."

Alain pushed up his glasses, then turned to add "DUTY = PFLICHT" to the chalkboard.

"Pronounced flickt," he said, setting down the chalk. "Kant says the only truly good thing is good will. And why does good will matter?"

He paused, not really expecting an answer, then continued. "It matters because we are sentient beings, and as sentient beings, we have the capability to recognize right and wrong, therefore—"

He wrote "CATEGORICAL IMPERATIVE" on the chalkboard, then glanced at his watch.

"Alright then, read chapter 2 by Tuesday, and be ready to argue Kant ethics vs. Aristotle's."

The students were up and shuffling out before he had even finished the sentence. He couldn't blame them. It was beautiful outside, and 9am was too early for Foundations of Ethics, anyway. As Alain stuffed his folders into his shoulder bag, he was vaguely aware of someone else, still seated at the back of the room.

He fell in with the jostling crowd of students, pushed through the glass doors, and stepped outside.

The sun was almost unbearably bright after the dim lecture hall. He ducked his head, and crossed the quad in long strides, vaguely aware of being followed.

Entering a stately brick building, he took a sharp left, then stopped at the end of the hall to unlock his door.

"Hans, I really wish you would let me know before you come to my class," Alain sighed.

"Was my presence distracting to you?" Hans said, drawing up alongside him. "I did sit in the back this time."

"Better than front row, for sure." He opened the door to his small, windowless office. "Hurry and take a seat, before the precisely zero students start lining up for my office hour."

Hans settled into the chair, crossing his legs. It had been a decade since Alain had seen him in SS uniform, but even in a sweater and slacks, Hans was still intimidating.

"Go on, then." Alain sat behind the desk. "What's so important you couldn't just ring me like a normal person?"

Hans cocked his head, that slightly-too-wide-for-his-face smile. "And miss one of your stimulating lectures?"

"Flattery will get you nowhere. So what do you need, Hans?"

"Must I need something to have a friendly visit?"

"For you, yes."

Hans folded his hands in his lap. "I am glad to hear Smithson and yourself will be using our apartment while we're away. That'll be very convenient for you. No more walking through the park."

"A bit less convenient for Smitty, going to the Lower East Side, but yes. Thank you. We'll do our best not to light it on fire."

A pause.

"I did want to ask you a few questions," Hans began.

Alain chuckled. "Here we go."

"I beg your pardon?"