Stay With Me

Stay With Me

Author's Note: Just a quick thank you to those who comment on every chapter. I appreciate all of you!

Song: Stay With Me by Sam Smith (One of my all-time favorites!)

Guess it's true

I'm not good at a one night stand

But I still need love 'cause I'm just a man

These nights never seem to go to plan

I don't want you to leave

Will you hold my hand

Casey looked around the small two-bedroom apartment he shared with Brett. 'This is it.' He thought. 'I need to make sure I get everything; I don't want to drag this out with her. She doesn't deserve that.'

"Hey, Case. Cruz and I have everything loaded up." Called Severide as he made his way through the half-bare apartment and over to Casey.

Casey shook his head, "Okay. Thanks again for coming and helping me get everything today."

"No problem, man. I'm just glad Stella took Brett out so we move your stuff. I mean I know you all left it on good terms and everything, but it can't be easy watching your ex move their things out of your shared apartment ."

Casey sadly nodded and looked around. Every memory they ever shared in this place played over and over in his head as he prepared to say his final goodbye.

"Yeah. Just give me one sec, and I'll be down."

Severide looked at Casey, knowing how hard this was for him, "Take all the time you need, man." He said before clapping Casey's back and stepping out of the apartment.

Casey took the letter, he had been holding all day, out of his pocket and laid it on the kitchen island along with his set of keys for the apartment. He looked around praying that this was a dream or a nightmare of sorts, but it wasn't. He did it. He ruined it. He cheated on her with his ex-wife. The same ex-wife that walked out and left him. Why he did it, he didn't know. He just wished that he never took Dawson up on that dinner offer when she came back for a visit last month.

Casey took a breath before finally walking out of the only place that ever really felt like home for him

Oh, won't you stay with me?

'Cause you're all I need

This ain't love, it's clear to see

But darling, stay with me

Why am I so emotional?

No, it's not a good look, gain some self control

Deep down I know this never works

But you could lay with me

So it doesn't hurt

Brett slowly put the key in the lock and turned it. She didn't want to come back, but she had to. Stella and Foster had done a great job of distracting her all day. But, ultimately, she would have to return whether she liked it or not.

'He's really gone.' She thought as she picked up her bag and walked into the cold, bare apartment. It didn't look like the home she once shared with the love of her life; it looked like a cold hell that held only hurt and tears.