6. Juliana to the Rescue

Juliana was still in the office reviewing papers when she heard a crashing sound just outside her door. She popped out of her chair, surveying the gym for the source of the sound. A bank of elliptical machines lined the wall right outside the office, and she saw someone sprawled on the floor. Juliana wasted no time and trotted over, kneeling next to the fallen guest. The woman was on her side, her back facing Juliana, as she cradled her head and moaned.

This isn't good, thought Juliana as she looked for signs of bleeding. Please no head injury. Gently, Juliana grasped the woman's shoulder and rolled her onto her back. "Are you okay?"

"No..." The woman groaned, her hands still covering her face. "...the embarrassment!"

Juliana stifled a chuckle. Perhaps no head injury then. "Here." She tugged at the fallen woman's wrist. "Let me see. We need to check for injuries."

The woman let her hands fall away and opened her eyes. Looked right at her.

Juliana stopped breathing for a moment. The sounds of the exercise machines around them seemed to dim.

It was her. It was Curves. She must have come in late while Juliana was busy.

Juliana stared, her mouth ajar. Those eyes. Light blue. Mesmerizing. Peering straight into her.

Curves didn't seem to mind. She was probably too dazed to notice the staring.

As if her hand had a will of its own, Juliana tenderly brushed a stray lock of blond hair from the woman's forehead. Up close, her face was like a padded version of Reese Witherspoon. I'll bet she has a dazzling smile.

Natalie appeared behind her, instructing the other patrons to go back to their workouts. "Is everything all right?" she asked, her face taut with concern.

Juliana blinked out of her trance and finally realized she had been gaping this whole time. "Uhh..." Think fast. Pretend like you actually work here. "Her pupils look normal. I don't think she has a concussion."

"That's good. Any injuries?"

"Can you move?" Juliana asked the woman.

"I think so," Curves replied and tried sitting up.

Juliana slid her hand behind the woman's shoulder and helped push her up.

"Oww," Curves grunted. "My shoulder."

"Sorry," she mumbled and removed her hand. "Is it a sharp pain?"

"I don't think so."

"That's good. Hopefully nothing's broken or dislocated. Other than being battered and mortified, how do you feel?"

Curves looked up at her, a hint of amusement in her eyes. "I think I'll live, though I may die of humiliation."

Juliana chuckled. "All right, let's get you up. Nat?"

Juliana gripped one arm while Natalie promptly knelt on the other side and grasped the other. Together, they helped Curves to her feet and walked her to the office. They sat her in one of the chairs.

"I'll call an ambulance." Natalie picked up an office phone.

"No!" The woman's vehemence startled them both. Then added more softly, "No ambulance. It's okay. I think my ego is more bruised than my body."

"But, just to be safe—"

"No, I'm fine. I'll just sit here a little while and I'll be on my way."

Natalie set the phone down, a pensive expression on her face.

"Ambulances are expensive," Curves whispered.

The phone in Natalie's pocket buzzed. She pulled it out and glanced at it, shooting a meaningful look at Juliana before heading back to her office to answer it.

Juliana understood. Make sure she's really okay.

She turned to Curves once again and rechecked her head for possible injuries. She noticed a slight bump on one side of her forehead. A concussion was still possible. She should check for confusion or disorientation. "Do you know where you are?"

Curves looked around the room. "I don't know, is this your office?"

Juliana smiled and answered, "Not really. All the trainers use it. What's your name?" She silently thanked this woman's klutziness for presenting this opportunity. Finally, she would find out what Curves' real name was!

The woman pursed her lips and said, "Francesca von Schutzenhauer."

Please pardon the chapter mixup previously. I somehow skipped posting Jenny's chapter, and she didn't tell me. Vote anyway? :)