Chapter 4 ~ To King's Landing Part 2

~.~

Eventually, the royal caravan stopped at a nice country side hill perfect for resting, swimming, and hunting for all who wanted to relax from the long hard road to King's Landing. Ned and Robert were lounging around eating some food the servant prepared for them. It was one of those rare moments for both men, as they got to let down their guard, and simply enjoy life after years of conflict and painful memories had controlled a good portion of their lives. As for Arya and Sansa, they were out by the lake enjoying one of their now rare sister moments together.

"God, this is Country. This is the life, isn't it Ned. No Iron Throne. No guards watching me every time I'm out. No real worries to hold me down like my wife or those brats I call children. Especially Joffrey. Hell, I have half a mind to leave them all behind right here and now," remarked Robert with Ned letting out a chuckle.

"I have half a mind to go with you," commented Ned with a sigh escaping him.

"What do you say Ned? Just you and me on the King's Road, swords at our side, a couple of tavern wenches to warm our beds every night?" offered Robert with Ned laughing at the offer itself.

"If you had asked me 20 years ago and there were no wars to fight, yes I would. But right now? Not a chance," replied Ned with a chuckle and Robert returned it.

"Aye, there were wars to fight, women to marry. We never really had a chance in life to be young with all that we did," added Robert with a sad tone in his voice now.

"I recall a few chances," remarked Ned with Robert smirking a bit.

"I swear if I wasn't King you would have hit me already," commented Robert while Ned just smirked back.

"That was the worse thing about your coronation. Now I'll never be able to hit you again when its deserved," replied Ned with a laugh though now Robert didn't return it.

"Trust me Ned, that's not the worst thing," countered Robert before handing Ned a note.

"When did this arrive for you?" asked Ned while he unrolled it and read the contents within.

"There was a rider late last night. I didn't read it until morning. Now I wish I hadn't read it at all," answered Robert with Ned looking surprised.

"Daenerys Targaryen has wed some Dorthraki Horse Lord. What of it? Should we send her a wedding gift?" asked Ned like it wasn't anything serious.

"Aye, a knife perhaps. A good sharp one, and a bold man to wield it into her back!" said Robert angrily at the idea of someone with Targaryen blood still alive.

"She a little more then a child Robert," protested Ned with Robert glaring at him now.

"Now maybe, but soon enough that child will become a woman, and will soon start spreading her legs for that Dorthraki Horse Lord to start breeding out heirs," countered Robert with his anger rising with each passing second.

"Please tell me we are not speaking of this," said Ned with smiles and happiness leaving his face with one of concern.

"Oh, its unspeakable to you. What her Father did to your family...that was unspeakable Ned. What Rheagar Targaryen did to your sister, the woman I loved...I'll kill every last Targaryen I get my hands on!" replied Robert angrily at the idea of one member of that House still being alive.

"But you can't get your hands on this one Targaryen...can you?" questioned Ned with Robert shaking his head no.

"This Khal Drogo...it is said he has 100,000 men in his hoard. And its growing," replied Robert angrily.