Chapter 18: Finding Merlin

"Merlin...?"

My voice was hesitant as I spoke, unsure whether this was just another memory or something more.

I wasn't sure if I was disappointed or relieved when the mist formed another figure, a litte shorter than the Merlin standing in front of me.

"Yes, I did! Your mother needed to know that I knew about you. You said it yourself, one wrong move could get you and all of us killed. Your mother can't make informed decisions if she's not informed!" The shorter figure shouted out before casting a furtive glance around the desolate forest that the mist had once again formed.

"Merlin, I know you're upset, but you didn't give me a choice." He seemed pleading.

I studied Merlin's face as it crumbled and he sighed. His hand running through his hair in a move I recognized as one he always did when frustrated.

He opened his mouth a few times before closing it and looking around, his face closed off.

"Merlin-" will reached for Merlin's shoulder but he stepped out of reach, looking away.

"She's sending me away." His voice cracked on the last word and the devastation on his face was enough to make my eyes burn. I've never seen him look so...alone. After all the memories, all the time I've known him, I wondered why this moment was the worst.

"What?" The mans voice was a whisper of disbelief.

"Will-" Merlin's voice broke off.

So that was his name. There was something familiar about it, like I've heard it before. Now that I think about it, he did look a bit familiar.

Merlin's face was closed off again, guarded.

"I have to go." The mist swirled as Will ran after him. The last I saw of the memory was the turned back of a lonely boy.

—————————————————————

I was back in the throne room.

Mist swirled all around me, faster and faster. I felt it tearing at my ratted dress. I was forced to close my eyes against the onslaught.

It felt like forever before I finally felt the wind slowing down.

I chanced opening my eyes and stumbled a bit when I beheld the terrain.

Gone was the swirling mist.

In it's place I found a jagged landscape, sharp rocks littered the dry and cracked ground. Mountains wrote sharp words in the grey skyline. I walked forward, away from the bare mountain range. A large boulder blocked my path, deep gashes in the earth surrounding it. I chose to carefully climb over.

Somehow I knew, he was close. I had to keep moving.

I was so focused on trying not to fall to my death that I didn't notice the figure leaning a against a broken boulder until I landed right by him as I slide down.

I knew, as I sat there staring at his pale form, that I had finally found him.

Merlin.

—————————————————————

It was cold.

Neither Merlin or Morgana had stirred in the past five hours.

I was not brave enough to venture any closer to the golden dragon than I already was, no matter how much heat he may exude.

The past five hours had given me much time to think. Adrenaline had worn off a long time ago yet I was still shaking.

I was having hard time convincing myself it was only due to the cold.

Traitor.

That's what I was now.

I glanced again at Merlin's still form.

I hoped, with all my being, that Morgana would be able to save.

Merlin didn't deserve what we'd done to him, he didn't deserve any of this.

He deserved to live.

He deserved to be free.

Funny how it took something so catastrophically horrible happening to show me that.

Authors Note: I am so sorry for the long wait! My life has been very hectic lately and writing has taken a backseat. I can't promise when the next update will by but I'll do my best! I promise I'm not a bonding my stories and for anyone who reads my other ones I plan to update those soon as well. :~)