Chapter 11: Answers

It squeaked.

It was clearly a baby, or a hatchling I should say.

It's skin was pure white and stretched thin over its bones. I felt the same small presence brush my mind, it was full of urgency and concern. The dragon suddenly darted past me so fast it was just a blur of white. By the time I turned it had already reached its destination.

"Morgana..." the knight seemed stuck between trying to get the dragon off of Merlin and drawing his sword so I decided to intervene.

"It's okay, I think it's here to help." I slowly walked toward the dragon who was currently nudging Merlin's face and whining.

"You think?" He sounded panicked. I felt some admiration for the knight. He was completely out of his depth yet he'd manage to keep a level head so far.

Suddenly the dragon hissed and the knight and I both flinched and his hand strayed toward his sword. I looked and instantly told the knight to put his hand down. The little dragon was hissing at the manacles and was currently curled up protectively on Merlin's chest glaring at them.

It stayed that way for a few minutes while the knight and I just stared, unsure of what to do. Then the little dragon perked up, releasing the chains from its blue-eyed glare.

I heard loud whooshing sounds, almost like....wings. Big ones. The ground shook as the sound dies down and the little dragon was fully standing at this point.

"Hello witch." I started. The presence of this creature was large and demanding.

"If you want the boy to live bring him here. Follow the white dragon. She will guide you. You must hurry witch, there isn't much time left." The little dragon was tugging at the bottom of my dress.

"What was that?" Right, the Knight wouldn't have heard the voice...

I glanced at Merlin's pale face.

"An answer." I walked the table where I had set down the key wrapped in cloth.

"Come on, we don't have much time." Thankfully the Knight sensed my urgency and didn't argue. He picked up Merlin as the little dragon ran to the door.

Please work.

Please.

———————————————————

I carried Merlin a short distance through the woods until we came upon a clearing.

Or should I say until we came upon the giant, golden, dragon.

It's scales glinted gold which was reflected on the morning dew and droplets from the rain. Despite the cold its body seemed to radiate warmth so much so that the ground near it was completely dry.

"So it's true. Destiny truly has been broken." For a moment I was shocked that it could speak. It's voice was a deep rumble. It seemed impossible that a beast such as this could feel something as trivial as a human emotion but I could have sworn that was sadness that I heard.

"Can you heal him?" Morgana shouted at the dragon.

He lowered his head so he was face to face with the dark witch but she held her ground.

"Such impertinence from one who needs my help." The dragon sounded amused.

"I'm sorry, just, please. Can you heal him?" She never lowered her head but her voice softened. Pleaded. The dragon shifted so that he was directly in front of Merlin and I. I couldn't help but to take a step back, his teeth looked even sharper from this close. His eyes seemed to soften.