Chapter 13: Gwaine

Gwaine's stalking gait caused his cloak to billow behind him.

I tore my gaze from a retreating Gwenivere to look at my knight.

"Care to explain why Merlin's not with you? Because I could have sworn I just heard you say that you locked him up in a cave." His voice was still it's normal jovial cadence however there was a barely concealed edge to it I had only heard a few other times.

Right before someone got punched in the face.

Leon must have heard it too for he stepped forward.

"Gwaine, Merlin is a traitor. I'm..." Gwaine cut him off.

"Like Hell he is!" His face twisted into something resembling a snarl.

He took a breath.

"Gwaine I'm..." I was cut off.

"Whatever was about to come out of your ungrateful mouth better not be an apology." His finger was almost touching my chest at this point but I was too shocked to move.

"Because I'm not the one you need to be apologizing too," he continued. Something clicked.

"Did you know?" My voice was hard.

I saw surprise flicker in his eyes for a moment at being interrupted but he took it in stride and didn't quail at my time like most would.

"I suspected, yes. But he never told me; and you know what?" His voice broke. "I understood it. Did I wish he would tell me? Yes. Did I blame him for not doing so? No, I didn't." His voice was much quieter at the end but his eyes were no less fierce.

I was at a loss for words so I said the first thing that came to mind.

"That's treason." Admittedly it wasn't the best thing I could have said but I couldn't think, I was reduced to just reacting at this point and I inwardly cringed as I said it. It was hard for me to come to terms with Merlin's treason. It will be hard for Gwaine as well, him and Mer... the sorcerer were very close.

This time the shock clearly shone in his eyes.

"What did he do?" The topic change threw me off.

"What are talking about Gwaine?"

"Merlin! What did he do? I'm assuming he did magic in front of you because I doubt he would have told you!" At this point my temper rose, how dare he speak to me like that!

"Merlin is a traitor, Gwaine! The sooner you understand that the better off you'll be." I took a few breaths.

"I bet he saved your life, didn't he?" I stayed silent.

"He did. He saved your life and you condemned him!" The other knights started edging towards Gwaine's trembling form.

"It doesn't matter what he did Gwaine. He used magic, he betrayed us!" Enough was enough.

I turned my head to nod at Leon which is why I was completely unprepared when Gwaine's fist connected with my jaw.

Pain slammed into me and I staggered.

When I looked up Elyan was holding Gwaine's arms behind his back but he wasn't struggling.

"That was for Merlin."

Authors Note: I finally updated! I'm so sorry it took so long but Gwaine's reaction was so hard to write. Anyway, thanks for all the amazing comments!! And 2k views, oh my gosh! Updates will be coming faster now that I got that chapter out of the way. Hope you enjoy! :~)