Split

The kiss lingered on Blake's lips as she walked home, a spring in her step. She had done it. She'd taken the initiative and kissed Yang, and she didn't regret it a single bit. She could hardly feel her feet touch the pavement – maybe they weren't, since she was so far in cloud nine – and her bliss carried her all the way to her front door. As she walked inside, a familiar voice called out to her.

"I was wondering where you'd went."

Blake turned to see her parents sitting at the kitchen table, her father watching her over a newspaper, and her mother over a cup of tea. Her eyes locked with her mother's, and she froze. Right, Blake thought, they did say they were going to be back at noon. I completely forgot since I was with Yang.

"Hi dad, it's great to see you again after so long," her dad said, "I missed you."

"S-Sorry, I just kind of forgot today was the day you'd be back. I would've been here otherwise." Blake said. She sat down at the kitchen table across from her dad and accepted a cup of tea from her mother. She realized she was still holding the helmet that Yang had given her, and laid it on the ground beneath her chair. "So, how was your trip?"

"Tiring. One more day and my throat would have given out from all of the politics and arguments. But one thing's for sure – Apis Mellifera isn't going without water or electricity for at least five more years." Ghira laid down his newspaper and nodded his head towards Blake. "How was yours?"

"What do you mean?" Blake asked.

"Well you must have went somewhere with that helmet, no?" Kali asked, "Or did you just find it randomly in the middle of the forest?"

Blake felt her cheeks heat up. "Oh, it was nothing. I just... uh... I went into the city with a friend."

"A friend who owns a motorcycle, and since nobody in town owns a motorcycle, that leaves me worried about just who you went with, dear," Kali said, "I trust you – I just want to know where you've been."

Blake sighed. "I went on a date. She took me to a nice café in Malleus City and we had lunch. Nothing else happened – nothing to worry about."

"A woman with a motorcycle – that at least narrows it down for us if we ever see someone like that." Ghira said.

Guys, do you really not remember Yang? You've only been gone a week! Blake though to herself. Wait, Yang's motorcycle was dropped off while mom and dad were away – that would make sense as to why they don't know it's her. Oh God if they find out I'm dating Yang they'll be hounding her with questions and attention and oh no oh no.

"I'll tell you more a bit later, I just need a nap right now. I got up way earlier than I meant to." Blake stood up from the table and grabbed the helmet from beneath her chair. She thanked her mom for the tea and walked to her room, hearing the faint, inevitable conversation between her parents start behind her. She closed the door to her room behind her and pressed against it, slowly sliding down until her knees were pressed close to her chest. "Yeah, right. If I tell them, then I can kiss Yang goodbye, and this time not in a good way."

She stood up and set the helmet on her dresser, the lavender a stark contrast to the dark green paint of her room. She flopped down backwards onto her bed, the covers flying up around her in a puff of exasperation. Twenty-three years she'd been alive, and she felt like her parents still treated her as if it were five. No, Blake thought, I'm closing in on twenty-four. At least I've had my first kiss now, so that's something.

Just as Blake was flopping onto her bed, Yang was walking into her home. She had just put Bumblebee away between the shed and the house and was ready to just lay down and focus on the kiss still lingering on her lips. As soon as the door opened, however, Yang knew she wouldn't get the chance to lay down any time soon.

"How was it?" Ruby asked. She was bouncing on the balls of her feet – a sign that Yang knew too well.

Let's see if I can avoid a super long conversation here, Yang thought. "I mean, you know the rule. Don't kiss and tell."

"YOU TWO KISSED?" Ruby squealed.

Well that was a flop. "Yes, and I'm pregnant now and we're getting married in a week. Hope you have a nice dress by then or you're not my best maid." Yang pushed past Ruby and stepped towards the couch. Ruby caught her prosthetic and pulled.

"Oh no, you're telling me more. What's the baby's name gonna be?" Ruby asked.

"Charlotte. She's going to be eight feet tall and have naturally pink hair." Yang pulled her prosthetic several times, none of which escaped Ruby's grasp, then dismissively disconnected it and laid down on the couch.

"First of all, Charlotte is a dumb name, second, since when could you do this?" Ruby waved Yang's prosthetic around. "Wouldn't this hurt?"

"It's not a real arm, and the baby isn't real either, now give it here." Yang gestured towards her arm, and Ruby tossed it back to her.

"Oh, the baby isn't real? Good, I wasn't ready to be an aunt."

Yang looked over at Ruby to crack another joke, then saw that not a hint of humor was present on her face.

"Ruby," Yang said, "You do know how babies are made, right?"

"Well dad told me you needed to get married to someone you really loved, and then it just kinda happened. He said that's why even two women or two men could have a kid."

"Oh, you innocent soul. Never grow up, Ruby, it's horrible." Yang laid her head back on the couch and ignored Ruby's questions of whether what dad told her was right or not, instead focusing on the events that had happened earlier.

"Yeah. See you tomorrow."

The words replayed in Yang's mind, accompanied by how beautiful Blake looked in the loose shadows of the forest. One way or another, I'll make sure to see her tomorrow.