A Look Back and A Step Forward

The bell above the door jingled as Yang walked into the café. The inside of the building was nothing like the rest of the city – it was as if that doorway had transported her and Blake to another world. The walls were paneled with dark wooden strips, the floor was mostly pale orange tile, and Blake couldn't see any two chairs that were the exact same color. She glanced back through the wide windows that took up most of the café's walls, and saw that yes, she was still technically in Malleus City. When she looked behind the counter, nobody was there – there had to be somebody though, there were several people sipping coffee that was still steaming.

Yang glanced down at the counter. She tilted her head and began to look behind the things there, first the promotional poster, then the change jar, and finally the basket of chocolate chip cookies that were not as fresh as the ones in the display to their right, but equally delicious looking. Her eyes lit up and she reached over the counter, slapping the area behind the pastry display several times before she hit what she wanted. A tinny ding played from the register, and Yang leapt back into line next to Blake.

"She hates the sound of that bell, so she tends to hide it," Yang said, "By law she needs to have one, so I always make sure to ring it. Give it some love, and also-"

"Piss me off." A woman at the counter said, glaring daggers into the back of Yang's head. Yang turned and gave the woman a cheeky smile, giving Blake a full view of her. The first thing Blake noticed was the tight, sideswept ponytail of silky white hair that as far as Blake new, was as tall as her. The second was the scar over her left eye.

"Weiss! Long time no see!" Yang said, throwing her hands in the air.

The woman, Weiss, scoffed. "I was wondering if you were ever going to show up again," her scowl turned to a warm smile, "I missed you."

"Weiss, this is Blake. Blake's a good friend of mine from Apis Mellifera. Blake, this is Weiss. She was my roommate in college."

"It's very nice to meet you," Blake said.

"Likewise," Weiss said, "Now I know you didn't just come here to ring the bell and give me tinnitus again. What's the special occasion? Here on a date?"

Yang sighed, "Why does everyone keep saying that?"

"Well, date or no date, I have a few warnings for you Blake," Weiss said, turning her attention to the other girl, "If you hate terrible jokes, stay as far away from her as you can. Every day she'd wake me up with some ungodly pun, it was the world's worst alarm clock."

"Puns? Like what?" Blake said.

"Oh my god please don't get her started-"

"So," Yang said, "Why did the cookie go to the hospital?" Yang picked up a package of cookies from the counter.

"He bit off more than he could chew?" Blake asked.

"He was feeling really crummy!" Yang shot a toothy grin at Weiss, then turned to Blake, then back to Weiss. Only Yang was laughing, but Weiss was the only one not smiling.

"I take it back. I didn't miss you," Weiss said, "Anyways, what can I get you guys?"

Yang's eyes scoured the menu above them. "Ooh, do you still have that éclair that nearly gave that guy a heart attack because it was so good?"

"Legally?" Weiss asked, "No. But I can make one for you if you'd like."

"Then that, and a cup of hot chocolate. Please." Yang said.