All of Her Beeswax

If it weren't for how tired she was after her party, Yang wouldn't have been able to sleep much that night. The sleep that she did get, however, was unrestful and filled with tossing and turning. She awoke with more questions than she went to bed with. Did Blake really put the party together for her? Did Ruby know about the amavissets? Is that even something to think about? What if they're just a folk tale? Yang glanced at the flowers on the table beside her, blinking to get the last dregs of sleep out of her eyes.

"G'morning." Ruby passed by her, toothbrush hanging out of her mouth. Yang squinted at her sister. She slapped her couchside table a couple times before landing on her phone. She checked the time, the clock shining a bright '7:41 AM' at her.

"You're up early." Yang said.

"Well Weiss would kill me if I was late on my first day back. Or worse, she wouldn't let me taste test the cookie dough."

Yang pushed herself up with a grimace. "Oh, right. Don't eat all of the dough before you bake it."

"That was one time!" Ruby walked back into the bathroom and rinsed her mouth. "Oh, by the way, there was a letter under the door this morning from Pyrrha. It's for you."

"What did it say?"

"Dunno, didn't open it."

"You really are all grown up. Up early for work, not peeking in your sister's mail, I'm proud of you." Yang forced herself off the couch just in time to ruffle Ruby's already combed hair. She grabbed the letter off of the table and glossed over the envelope. 'To Yang, From Pyrrha and Jaune.' Odd how Ruby left Jaune out. Poor guy, Yang thought, he never gets mentioned. She scraped open the top of the letter and pulled out the paper inside.

Dear Yang,

First off, happy belated birthday! I apologize that Jaune and I could not be there last night, but Sonia had her first dance recital since graduating elementary school, so she really wanted us to be there to watch her. Secondly, I wanted to tell you about the gift I made you! It's already set up a bit further past the path towards the town on your property, you should be able to see it from your front door. Blake mentioned in passing that you liked bees, and Ruby had mentioned that you had taken up gardening, so I figured having a small apiary for homemade honey would be something nice to have! Jaune helped me find someone to get us the bees, so there should already be a queen inside. We moved an already existing hive inside so you wouldn't need to wait several months for honey – only about a week or two.

Best Wishes,

Pyrrha and Jaune

(P.S. Say hi to Ruby for me!)

Yang's hands shook as her eyes scanned the letter. She dared a glance out of her window – sure enough, there was a wooden box, resting upon stilts, right past the entrance to her property. She could hear buzzing – was it the bees? Or was it her own head? She fished her pockets for her phone and found nothing. Right, she thought, still on the table. She opened her phone and tapped in a speed dial she had just programmed the night before, a picture of Blake now hopping in the center of the phone's screen.

"Bwuh's up?" Blake asked.

"Oh, sorry, did I wake you up?" Yang began to pace around the room. She'd had this habit whenever she talked on the phone for her whole life. Apparently it was normal, according to an article her dad showed her, but she couldn't help but feel she paced faster when she was stressed.