Chapter 12 (Part Two) - Preparations

Start from the beginning

The dough was ready, so Jasmine preheated the oven, buttered the baking tin molds and started pouring the mixture into it. She had decided to make at least thirty muffins. All that remained to do was to bake the first group and wait for them to cook.

Meanwhile, the random reproduction of her phone decided to start the only song on that album that managed to make her really sad. Jasmine had always been a person with a strong character, which had caused her some problems, but she had never been able to completely overcome one event in particular. "Save our last goodbye" was the song that brought her back to the death of her grandmother. A natural thing that everyone at some point experiences in their lifetime, but that had left her with a deep wound, never completely healed.

Her grandmother, on the father's side, was the person she was closest to when she was little. Not because she gave her a lot of gifts or the like, but because she had supported and helped her, always defending her grand daughter. She was the only person who had never thought of even the slightest negative thing about her, convinced that there was absolutely nothing wrong with her little girl. Her parents, on the other hand, had some doubts, but Jasmine had never blamed them, they had good reasons.

A small reference to her grandmother was enough to make her lose her smile, it was still very painful to think of her. On the other hand, however, every now and then she wanted to remember her, even if it made her suffer and she always ended up shedding at least a few tears. That was why she never skipped that song: it helped her take a few moments for her, to think about the woman who had been such an important part of her life.

The girl put the muffins in the oven and stopped, concentrating completely on that desperate song. When her grandmother passed away because of an illness, she was still quite small and her parents did not want to take her with them to the hospital when they learned that the moment had come. Jasmine hadn't been able to say goodbye, and she still didn't want to. But she regretted not being there.

Her eyes became wet and tears were soon there, no matter how much she tried to hold them back.

Jason was taken aback by the girl's sudden change of attitude. For a moment it seemed to him that she had received a phone call as a new song started, then he realized that that was also part of it. He was surprised and felt strange when a tear fell from the girl's face, followed quickly by another. He tilted his head, watching her and listening carefully, the words he was hearing were affecting him too. His thoughts immediately rushed to her mother, everything they had gone through together, anger and pain. Jason immediately sensed that the girl had also lost someone very important to her and that this made her sad.

Watching her become sad and being sad himself because of his mother made him feel some empathy for what he still considered a practically certain victim. He didn't want to convince himself that she was so different that she wasn't a nuisance or a problem for him. The mere fact that she was sending him a little in confusing to him was more than good reason to eliminate her.

He stared intently at her for all the time.

"They said in time the pain goes away, but in my soul it will forever stay."

It was the first time he had heard that song and the first time that he cared so much about someone without having the urgent desire to kill them. Those words definitely suited his situation, what he felt. They made him, even if only for a short time, feel understood, less alone. The fact that he nevertheless continued to hear his mother consoled him a little. She never really left him.

The song ended with the usual sad verse: "Save our last goodbye. It's killing me that I won't get to hear your laughter anymore."