Arthur Morgan: Doubt

Arthur Morgan X Female Reader

Summary: Someone from Arthur's past wants to speak with you, planting a seed of doubt in your mind.

Word Count: 2100

You tugged your jacket on, smoothing over your clothes to straighten them out, before turning to face Arthur. The two of you had just finished getting ready for the day in your shared tent.

"I'll meet you in Saint Denis, on the corner by the saloon. Y'know, the one where we robbed that poker game blind?" you asked, making sure you both remembered where you were meant to meet.

"Yeah I know the one" Arthur chuckled, nodding at you.

"Don't be late" you stepped towards him, reaching up to straighten out his collar.

"Of course not. As soon as I finish that job with Dutch, I'll meet you there" Arthur assured you.

"Right, right, you have that job with Dutch...I'll meet you an hour later than planned then" you teased, loosely wrapping your arms around his neck.

"Have some faith" Arthur joked, placing his hands on your waist.

"Oh god, you're talking like him" you groaned as you began to pull away from him.

"I'll see you later" Arthur chuckled again as he pulled you back towards him, holding you against his chest. "I love you" he smiled before pressing a lingering kiss to your lips.

"I love you too" you spoke against his lips as you both pulled away from the kiss. "Be careful" you told him the same thing you always tell him when you're going your separate ways.

"I always am" Arthur squeezed your waist but you only gave him a sceptical look. "I promise" he said more seriously. You just smiled before leaning up and giving him another kiss.

The two of you pulled away from each other before leaving the tent. He gave you a quick smile before riding out of the camp with Dutch.

-----

You rode into Saint Denis, getting to the meeting spot a little early just in case Arthur finished the job faster than expected. You didn't mind waiting if he was late, you had nothing else to do today. You lent back against the wall of the saloon, glancing down the street.

"Excuse me?" a female voice called. You turned your head to look at them and paused, looking the woman up and down.

She was attractive, you couldn't deny that. Long dark brown hair tied neatly into a low bun, sparkling brown eyes and tanned skin, a beauty mark on her right cheek. You knew who this woman was as soon as you saw her. Mary Linton.

"I'm Mary Linton, you're Y/n L/n, right?" she introduced herself.

"You know who I am?" you asked, brow furrowing in confusion. Sure, you knew who she was, you had seen a photo of her, but you didn't know how she could know you just from appearance.

"Sure...Arthur spoke of you the last time we met" Mary told you. "When I wrote to him and he came to help my brother" she added, maybe she was trying to remind you?

"Oh right...yeah, I remember that. Your little brother, uh, joined a cult or something, right?" you asked, pushing yourself away from the wall to face her properly.

"Yeah, pretty much" she nodded hesitantly.

"And this was after you wrote to Arthur after...years of not contacting him, asking him for a favour?" you asked a little harshly, it had obviously surprised her a little. "Sorry, I didn't mean...it's just that when Arthur told us about your letter, it took us all by surprise. Susan had advised him not to go but I insisted that he should at least hear you out if you needed help. I really am glad that your brother is alright, he seems like a nice guy" you smiled, trying to remain civil. She may be Arthur's ex but you were an adult and you could be polite, you really didn't wish her any harm. You didn't even know her, not really.