Chap-34

*Unedited*

We pulled into our driveway, a new car was parked in it. "Seems like we are having guests."

Zain groaned beside me. "I am not spoiling my mood on anything."

"Then don't." I winked at him before getting out of the car.

Indeed there were four new people in the house. Our beloved aunt and Danish are dressed at their best. I stopped Gayatri aunty who was rushing to the kitchen. "Who are they?"

"Rishta for Najma baby." She replied before hurrying to the kitchen. Ah! So Najma's getting married that's news. Though it would be good to avoid any drama, my feet made way to Najma's room.

The door was ajar, I invited myself in. "So I hear you are getting married."

"What do you want?" Najma asked with an irritated look. "Why the hell are you in my room?"

She was wearing a green salwar kameez with striking stonework. She had some beautiful jewellery on her. I must say she look stunning.

"I thought you still dreamt of marrying Zain."

"Will you just go?" She had her eyes fixed on her phone.

I took a deep breath and went towards her. I so wanted to torture her like she did to me, but I can't. She looked miserable.

"I don't like you. But for a girl who is having a bunch of people asking for her hand in marriage, I wish good for you. So, how do you feel?"

"I don't wanna talk to you." She spat out.

"Please don't tell me you are still infatuated with Zain." I sat on the couch. It's the first time I am in Najma's room. It's so pretty. Who am I kidding the whole house is so great.

"How did you feel?"

"I'm sorry?" I am bewildered. She asked out of nowhere.

"How did you feel when Zain's family came to see you for the first time?"

"Honestly? I was afraid. But I had a feeling like he is the one, you know." I smiled remembering the first time I met Zain.

I got a small nod from Najma in response. She is super nervous. Any girl would be. I was too. "There was a family who came to see me before Zain. They rejected me, only Allah knows their reason. I was so afraid then. So nervous. I cried for the whole night. But when I met them they seemed great. I kind of wished for the wedding to happen. It didn't. I was sad. As the days passed we know it's all for the best."

She remained silent."Najma, don't worry Allah has already written a guy for you and you will marry him no matter what."

"Did you see the family or the guy?" She asked.

"No. I didn't. I hope they are good. I hope he is handsome." I said trying to lighten up the mood.

"I don't think so." She tugged a stray hair behind her ears, making her bangles create noise. Tell a desi family to present their daughters before her possible in-laws, they will dress her up like a walking jewellery shop.

"I checked his Instagram profile, he looks so old. Momma is so persuasive. I don't want to meet them. I have a very bad feeling about this."

Normally, I would have enjoyed Najma in her misery. I have hated her. I hated the way she looked at Zain. It was annoying in the first few days of our marriage. Then her motive shifted to me. She would throw comments on me, not to forget that slap. But I never want her to have a bad husband or worse, a bad marriage. The way I was treated badly. I would never wish it even for my worst enemy.