Chap-28

*Unedited*

My reverie was broken by the opening of door. "How is he?" I internally groaned looking at the owner of the voice. Do I already have less problems that she have come to add it?

Out of formality, I stood up greeting with a salaam.

"Walaikumussalam" Our beloved aunt replied followed by Najma on trail, who just smirked at me. I rolled my eyes ignoring her.

"Jamaal said Zain had an accident. I heard its pretty bad, is it?" She asked standing beside Zain.

I nodded at her. Why I'm finding all these concerns a sham? Jamaal bhai handed me the file, who was ten steps away from Najma. I mumbled 'thank you' to him. He replied back with a smile.

"He has numerous injuries. Doctors are just waiting for him to wake up." I answered her question.

"Oh dear!" She exclaimed. Believe me she didn't have any sign of remorse in her face. "I don't know what to do. I wish I was in his place. Ya Allah! You would have hurt me instead of my child, you could have placed me here" She said shedding few tears.

Wow! Such sacrifices for a person whom she doesn't even bother to look at while living under same roof. What surprised me was a gasp from Najma. "Zain!" She stood next to her mother.

"What have you done to yourself?" My anger never reached so high like right now. She was swooning over an unconscious man, who happens to be my husband. How I wish to kill her!

What irks me the more is her mother,  who allows Najma to do all these kinds of things. She could have stopped her long back or at least she could have given her the "look" or should I say "glare" of a mother. Najma would have been a better girl if she had a better surroundings. Man! I am sometimes afraid of talking about my celebrity crushes with ammi.

"What happened is happened Najma. All we need is prayers. So pray" I eyed her. She looked at me passing me a poisonous glare and I returned the same. No, I returned it with the triple amount 

Defying my urges to kick her out, I stood there listening to the extra sugarcoated words of aunt. If words could give diabetes, I would have been taking insulin by now. "Kashaf dear, ask me whatever you want. I'm always here for you. My heart breaks watching my son like this. Allah! What wrong I've done that you're punishing my son?" She sniffled  

For a second, I was thankful that Zain was unconscious. I could imagine his rigid stone hard face with jaws clenched staring everywhere except his aunt's face. Surely her words completely makes him uncomfortable, having him internally debate on being silent or go on a big verbal fight. The same is happening with me now,  where being silent is becoming harder and harder.

"Kashaf? How will you stay here at night? Do you want me to stay back?" She asked with the glistened eyes.

"It's okay aunty. I'll manage." I replied forcing out a smile. Where the hell did she learn to act?

"Okay then. Perhaps this old woman can't stay out here" She sniffled again.

Then why show the formality?

She rubbed Zain's hand, shedding few more tears. Every single drop of it was screaming the fake action. Amidst all these Najma's eyes were shamelessly gazing my husband.  All I wanted was to yank her away from Zain and my wish was fulfilled by a nurse, whom I mocked before.

"Visiting hours are about to end" She warned standing at the door step.

For the first time in my life I was happy for the rules. With a relief I turned towards the great actors- aunt and Najma. "I'm afraid that you have to leave" I said.