Chapter 5: Myths and legends

Start from the beginning

Some kind of fear came to me.

"He is very... human to be one of those bloodthirsty beings."

"Remember, he has lost his memory," he warned, worried. "Lion cubs are cute too."

I looked at my hands with a frown, feeling intrigued, but it was only a theory. Perhaps no young EH was presented to humans by simple custom.

"Anyway, I'll let you work." Marcus left before I could answer him.

***

After finishing my shift, I went to my room to change clothes. I opened a milk bottle and took it with me. I wanted to see him, but I wasn't sure if I would. After all, he hadn't shown up at lunch.

Doubt invaded me. I wanted to know if something had happened to him, but maybe he didn't want me to know. On the other hand, Marcus's theory stuck in my mind. My parents had mentioned secretly seeing evolved children but didn't specify what they looked like. What if they really looked like us? 

How many, in any case, were in our cities without us knowing it?

No... No. It couldn't be. They would attack us. They were aggressive... And I had studied them too. They couldn't camouflage themselves or change their appearance. Humans were also forbidden to modify their bodies to look like them, thus avoiding false alarms.

I decided to go just in case, but still doubting, I pursed my lips and sighed.

"Anthony..." I finally said. "Can we talk? Oh, but if you like, I'll go and let me know when..."

He opened.

"Why do you think I don't want you here?" he asked in a sweet tone. Let me in, but didn't close the door. "I heard that today was the day you were born."

That was a somewhat different way of calling it. I looked at him, and he smiled and looked at me sweetly but also profoundly. He had such a kind face. I just smiled too and nodded. 

"Yeah, well, it's not that I'm celebrating."

"Why?"

I shrugged my shoulders.

"I can't find many reasons..."

"We can look for them."

I felt the heat on my cheeks, and I preferred to change the subject, not to turn redder.

"You weren't at lunch today," I murmured.

He thought for a second.

"It's because... I remembered something." He sat down in the chair. I backed away and sat on his bed while he studied me with his eyes carefully. "Well, I actually remembered it a long time ago. I just..."

"Oh... Well, what is it?" I asked, taking advantage that he seemed to start trusting me for real.

"I spent some time living in an EH's colony."

"What? Are you sure?" I panicked. He with those beings? How did they leave him alive?

Apparently, he noticed my expression because he showed a slight smile.

"They weren't as bad as you think. A few get lost under their wild instinct, but in general, they are a civilized society."

"Civilized? Yes, of course! Why didn't you tell me before?" How could he have hidden something like that?

"I didn't tell you because you hate them... and I don't."

"You don't?!" I was frustrated now. "How can you say that?"