Chapter 36: Dead in life

I heard the retreating steps of all the evolved men. The pain invaded me to the tips of my hair. I wanted to die. After a while, I heard someone running toward me. Max knelt and shook me.

"Marien!"

"We should take her to the hospital," one of his men suggested.

They lifted me and carried me away. They laid me in the back seat of one of the trucks and drove off. The pain consumed me more and more. It was a shame not to die from the pain of loss and thus end the embracing feeling of being ripped alive.

On the way, I was listening to the disputes of the men.

"They took the governor too. This is a declaration of war, without a doubt," one of them said fearfully.

"The electricity still hasn't returned..."

"How could we suppose something like this would happen? Luckily, he saved us, going with them."

***

They carried me back in their arms and laid me on a stretcher. I heard the desperate voice of someone, someone I knew. Without a doubt, Marcus.

"What the hell!" he exclaimed.

"Marien," Rosy muttered, scared.

"We assume she's on some kind of sedative," Max explained.

They transferred me again somewhere. After a while, I felt pain in my arm, but the pain from losing Sirius was insurmountable. All I wanted was to get rid of the drug's effect and scream with all my might.

***

After almost an hour, I was in a quiet room. Two people came in and sat nearby.

"Do you think we can do something?" Rosy asked. She was distraught a lot.

Someone sighed.

"I don't know what to think anymore. Knowing how they act, he might be dead by now or not, but he will soon be. We wouldn't get on time anyways," Max muttered.

Why didn't they just kill me and stop talking about such things in my presence? It was my husband they were talking about, a person who meant my whole world.

Someone else broke into the room.

"I'll sedate her." It was Marcus.

"How? Isn't she sedated already?" Max asked, concerned.

"No," Marcus replied as he injected me with something. "According to the tests, she has a drug that doesn't deactivate her mind, so she is probably listening to us..."

"Oh, geez," Max said guiltily.

Little by little, the darkness invaded me, and I lost myself completely.

***

"Forgive me..."

I opened my eyes to the memory of his voice and found myself in a hospital room, empty and neutral. The pain in my chest hit me hard, spreading like poison throughout my being.

He was no longer with me.

Tears started running down my cheeks. I gritted my teeth and moved my hands to my mouth to silence the loud sob that rose from my throat, causing me to contract in pain.

He was gone, he left me...

"NO!" I let out another big sob.

I couldn't hold it back anymore, and I began to cry bitterly and disconsolate, contracting more from the pain as I cried and screamed. There was nothing, no one who could calm me down now.