Chapter 44: The end

Max had accelerated, and the truck was running at a speed I had never traveled. We entered the city, and he slowed down just a bit.

I heard gunshots and let out a cry of fright. Luckily, the truck was from the government, so destroying it would take more than that. Then, I realized that the bullets were not coming at us but at a horde of men running through the streets: evolved. How was it possible? 

Max took the cell phone. "Repeat it. I didn't hear!" He paused and was stunned. "I'll be there right away!"

"What's going on?" I wanted to know.

"My brother says that Orion and a whole huge army of EH are attacking the city. They have the Governor. He says they plan to kill him if they are attacked or something like that!" We crashed into the entire horde of evolved men, and it was no big problem for them to tip over and roll the truck.

Sirius covered me with his body as we turned violently. We heard the buzz of the Army's planes, and soon shots were added. Everything was screaming and chaos. The truck stopped rolling. I was only aware of the force with which Sirius had me against his body and the noise of the tires turning at full speed when the vehicle was overturned upwards.

"Let's go out!" Max ordered.

Again, I was unaware of things as Sirius moved fast, getting out and taking me with him. When I finally realized everything, we were already outside the vehicle and ran to shelter from the chaos. Some evolved men ran past and almost crashed into us, but Sirius dodged them.

Helicopters started to follow us as they fired, but Sirius was fast, and they couldn't hit us. Soon many soldiers joined in pursuing us. We hide inside a half-destroyed building.

They had us surrounded.

"EH, turn yourself in and release the hostages!"

"Enough, I'll go out," I said, enraged. How could they believe we were his hostages?

"Don't even dream about it," Sirius warned.

"I'll show them I'm not your hostage! Besides seeing you well, they could recognize you. You have been in the news all this time..."

"We will blow up the building!" they warned.

Suddenly, I heard something terrifying: the growls of hundreds of evolved men. They had returned to the attack. Sirius shot out. I called out to him and wanted to run to stop him, but Max held me back firmly, and I kicked and screamed for him to let go.

The buzz of more helicopters in the sky terrified me even more. No. They would shoot everyone without discrimination! I nudged Max with all my might, and he let go of me complaining. I ran desperately, and Max couldn't stop me. 

I saw Sirius fighting some evolved men to prevent them from attacking more Army men. However, they all froze as they realized that the helicopters in the sky were targeting each one of them.

And shots...

"NOOO!" I screamed with all my might, clinging to my Sirius's torso, covering him with my body.

I clenched my teeth, expecting to receive the impact of thousands of projectiles... but it didn't happen.

"Move!" I heard the man from the nearest helicopter order through a speaker. "What the hell are you doing?"

"Marien..." Sirius murmured.

"I'm not going away!" I yelled, facing the ships. "I WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO TOUCH HIM!"

They lowered their weapons; the evolved men were also dumbfounded.

"It's the EH from the news!" exclaimed a young man.