Plotting Basics

—❩✦❨—

—❩✦❨—

It is totally a matter of preference on whether you plot out your story. Some writers feel restricted if they plot out their stories. Sometimes new ideas come along and it would be more trouble than it's worth to redo the plot than if they had just written out the story as it came to them.

This is absolutely ok. If this is your preference, don't let anyone tell you it's wrong.

Others are hybrid writers, who will map out a skeleton of the major plot points that are driving the story forward but don't go into deep detail beyond that. They prefer to use the plot as a guideline and write as inspiration hits, eventually connecting the plot points.

Also completely ok. If this makes you feel most in your element, keep at it.

I prefer to plot out my entire story, almost down to what is going to go into each chapter.

I have ADHD. I will lose focus, forget, and/or screw up the order of things if I don't.

This does not mean my way is better than anyone else's, it is simply what my scatterbrain needs to stay on track or I'll forget a crucial plot point and make it impossible to put in that really awesome scene I've been daydreaming about. I will sometimes deviate from the plot as new ideas develop, but I don't mind going back into my plot document to make adjustments. It's worth the trouble if I end up with a story that I have no regrets about.

I use two plotting methods: Three Acts, and Save the Cat.

Three Acts

The Three Acts method is mainly used to write screenplays, but the concept applies very well to writing, in my opinion. There's a clear cut beginning, middle, and end that use major plot points as benchmarks separating them.

Using 40 Weeks as an example, the plot point benchmarks are as follows:

Act 1: Starts from the first page. Jungkook and Hyun-Ji make the sex-pact and carry it out, then Hyun-Ji becomes pregnant.

Act 2: Begins when Hyun-Ji decides to keep the pregnancy. We follow her and Jungkook through their ups and downs as the pregnancy progresses.

Act 3: Begins at their breakup. This major event changes everything for the couple. They then resolve their issues (after being stubborn), and we end it with a nice happy picture of their new lives as parents.

The two major plot points of Hyun-Ji keeping the pregnancy, and the breakup mark when the acts change.

Save the Cat

Save the Cat is a plotting method illustrated by author Blake Snyder. It uses 15 story beats, or events, to map out a novel. These beats will change slightly based on the genre of your story. Here are the beats:

Opening Image
Theme Stated
Setup
Catalyst
Debate
Break into Act 2
B Story
Fun and Games
Midpoint
Bad Guys Close In
All is Lost
Dark Night of the Soul
Break into Act 3
Finale
Final Image

Save the Cat seems like it's more detailed than Three Acts, but once I break them down into their components, you'll see many similarities between them.

—❩✦❨—

Up Next: Three Acts