45 | bellamy in season 3 (rant 4)

Start from the beginning

one thing that adds to the psychological trauma is the fact that bellamy is given a girlfriend for the sole purpose of fridging her. this means that a character (usually a female) is introduced, only to be abruptly killed off and served as a device to further another character's (usually a male love interest) storyline. this is exactly what happened with gina. we saw them being adorable. we saw them being gentle with each other and bellamy giving her heart eyes.

and then echo comes along! she uses bellamy's trust in her to lure him to the coalition with a fake "plot" to draw them away from MW, utilizing bellamy's mistrust of trikru to her advantage as well. bellamy feels responsible for all of those deaths because it was echo's manipulation that encouraged him to leave the mountain. that's why he turns his guard jacket in during the next episode.

pike finds bellamy at his lowest point (clarke chose to stay behind in polis, his girlfriend is dead, echo betrayed him, the rest of farm station is dead, to name a few) and uses that to get him onto his side. bellamy is manipulated— pike utilizes his grief and insecurities to get him on his side. (you can skip to 2:20 to see pike's conversation with bellamy, but i think his talk with octavia beforehand is pretty important as well).

"you're right. it was your fault." this is a term in psychology used to describe emotional abuse called gaslighting. it's when a person spins the tale of an event to make the victim question their sanity, perception of an event, judgment, etc and often results in low self-esteem. pike (a man in a former position of power as a teacher) tells bellamy (a grieving 23-year-old whose brain still hasn't fully developed it's decision-making skills, which happens at 25) that it's his fault he was manipulated by echo. pike says that it's bellamy's fault for trusting echo when he has no idea what happened between them in season 2. note that he's also having this talk with bellamy as they're drinking and both are intoxicated.

i'm going to split this rant into 2 parts because there are 2 major things that people like to argue about.

1 – THE MASSACRE

one big argument against bellamy that i've seen is: why does finn get hate for massacring 18 people when bellamy killed 300? i'll tell you why those scenarios are different.

in 2x05, finn and murphy visit a grounder village in their efforts to find the other delinquents (mainly clarke, in finn's case). this village is not made of warriors– it's comprised of civilians. some elders. some children. regular people. and they're completely unarmed. they use intimidation to force these villagers into a pen as finn interrogates them.

here is the scene for context:

finn fires the first shot at an elderly man who is trying to run away and get help. his back is turned to finn. he is not trying to attack them. he poses no threat. after that, even as murphy (a former antagonist and literal murderer himself) is screaming at him to stop and for them to leave. finn goes on to kill 17 more (again, unarmed!!!!) grounders in a frenzy. you can see it in his eyes. even after it ends and people are wailing, he sees clarke and there's no remorse in his eyes. he simply says, "i found you."