32 | we are two different people

( bonus if you get the reference in that title )

it's always good for your OC and their love interest to have chemistry and agree on things— it's what makes them have a good dynamic & what makes their relationship work. however, be careful not to have them practically merge into the same person split in two different bodies!

one thing that's vital when writing fanfiction in general is remembering that your characters represent real people. no two people have the exact same interests and opinions, and if they claim they do, they're probably lying tbh.

relationships are rocky. sometimes one of them might be in A Mood and not want to be around the other for a few hours. maybe they find themselves on opposite sides of an argument or important matter. all of these things make the dynamic realistic and interesting to read. if the characters agree on everything all the time, you're going to lose readers' interest quickly.

this is one of the reasons why some fanfics actually fall flat once the characters get together. the author is afraid to test their bonds or make them disagree because it will mess up the "perfect" illusion of their relationship.

please make sure your characters have their differences. sometimes they may have to agree to disagree. other times they may be able to work things out until they're both on the same page. but you have to remember that there are some things that you just can't change about a character, no matter how much character development they go through. it's like trying to force them to like chocolate cake if they absolutely despise it. they can become a completely different person than they were at the beginning of the story, but at the end of the day, they still hate chocolate cake.

it's often more fun to read about characters whose personalities complement each other. for example, a Type A character (loud, assertive) being with a Type B character (sensitive, empathetic). you know how they say "opposites attract"!

have you ever been around a couple like this? ones who are like, "oh,  i would love to hang out, but tyler has to get his hair cut at 3pm so we'll both be unavailable," or "rachel doesn't like strawberries, so now i don't like them, either!"

it's annoying. don't make your characters like that.