Fade Away | Cal Kestis

•since there's hardly any Cal fics out there, I've decided to take it upon myself to give you all one

———————

Pain.

It was all you could feel as you laid on the muddy ground below, the cold seeping through your jacket and soaking you to the bone. Your vision was hazy as you laid on your back and gazed at the cloudless sky, the trees hanging over you obscuring part of your view of the sky with their emerald leaves swaying in the wind. You could feel your own heart beating in your fingertips, your head pounding in your skull as sleep desperately wanted to take hold of you. The far away and muffled sound of a light saber clashing against another caught your attention, your eyebrows furrowing slightly as relief flooded your senses that you at least still had some control of your muscles. You barely had the strength to turn your head to the side, fresh mud caking new parts of your hair as it coated your formerly clean tresses, the feeling uncomfortable but not a priority right now. Your eyes caught onto two people fighting one another about 10 feet away from you, one was a bigger foe with a double bladed blood red light saber, dressed in all black and quite tall and strong looking. A mask covered the enemy's head with a plastic visor over their eyes and nose, they were quite skilled with the saber as the woman swung continuously at the other man. The Ninth Sister, your mind registered the bigger woman as the memory of going against her a few moments prior sprung to your mind.

That was how you ended up slung away in the mud, your body aching in protest at the mere thought of you fighting the Ninth Sister. Cal, you thought of the man who had been your friend for years and who was currently holding his own against the larger foe. You had split off from him during your escape off Coruscant, not seeing him for 5 years until one day you just so happened to be on the Mantis when it picked up a fiery red head with pale green eyes. You would never forget the day you saw him again after so long, he had certainly grown and matured into a young man in your time away from your friend. His hair got longer and he no longer sported his padawan braid, and he carried himself differently, like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders and nothing could relieve it. But his eyes, his green eyes you could lose yourself in, were still the same if not a bit wiser. You had hugged him so tight that day, had held him so close as he did the same when he tightened his arms around your waist.

You could still feel his touch on your waist faintly if you concentrated enough but your head was pounding against your skull, your eyes blinking a few times as you focused on Cal move around the space and keep the Ninth Sister's attention on him and away from you limp on the ground. You remembered swinging your green saber through the air and clashing the weapon against hers as Cal recovered from a hit only a few feet behind you, but the Ninth Sister had taken the golden opening and had shoved her hand out, Force pushing you back so hard that your body collided with a tree trunk and your skull smacked against the wood. "Y/N!" a desperate voice had called out, knowing was Cal but not having the strength to look at him as your body fell to the muddy ground and here you lay. Your fingers twitched as you attempted to move them to reach for your light saber a few inches from your fingertips, ultimately giving up and deciding to watch Cal move around the space like he owned it. His movements were graceful yet rigid as he fought with his emotions, seeing his green eyes stormy and his brow furrowed. Usually as a Jedi it was strongly discouraged to fight with your emotions in fear of it being a path to the Dark Side, but Cal seemed to keep control of the anger stirring inside him as the image of you being thrown into the trunk played over and over in his mind.

You could see the Ninth Sister's endurance grow weaker as she fought each and every blow after blow Cal relentlessly sent her way, eventually she had enough and swung her saber strongly, the weapons clashing as Cal was forced to bend down and keep his saber from slicing his arm as he held it under hers. You could hear them faintly talking before Cal, with a sudden strength as he glanced over at you, pulled a few surprise moves before flipping in the air and cutting the hand off the Ninth Sister and landing in a superhero pose, a hand extending out quickly as he Force pushed the Ninth Sister back into a clutter of metal and she fell down the hill. You watched the exchange with a proud smile on your face, having the sudden urge to cough violently as a wet substance spilled from the edges of your lips and down the side of your face. Cal's attention was brought to you as he sheathed his light saber and clipped it to his belt, hearing his fast approaching foot steps come closer and closer to your limp body on the ground. "Y/N! Hey, hey, don't give up on me now, okay?" His voice was panicked as he joined you in the mud, wrapping his arms around you without a care of getting dirty as he cradled the back of your neck in his gloved hand.