64. Dancing on the Edge

John Mayer is a shit human being but his music makes me Soft. Song is "Edge of Desire." And slow dancing is my kink. AB/AP era.

They're both a little drunk.

Okay, a lot drunk.

Pete can't bring himself to care. It's almost two in the morning, and Andy and Joe went back to their hotel room an hour ago, so it's just him and Patrick nursing a bottle of room service Chardonnay. They're sitting on the floor, leaning against the foot of one of the beds, laughing at everything under the sun. Their shoulders are touching; that small point of contact is enough to warm Pete's entire body.

Patrick's eyes are as bright as stars, and there's no way his cheeks aren't hurting from how much he's smiling. Pete can see all the places where the tension has drained out of Patrick's body. He's so relaxed, and Pete's just so happy to be in his presence.

"I love you," Pete says in the middle of a laughing fit. "God, I fucking love you."

Patrick flushes pink, and tries to hide his grin by biting his bottom lip. It doesn't work, and they end up laughing harder.

Patrick gasps. "You know what would be fun?"

"What?" Pete asks, eyes flicking across every over-joyed feature on Patrick's face.

"We should dance!"

Pete giggles. "Fuck yeah, I love watching you dance."

"No no no." Patrick grabs the bottle of wine and takes a sip. "We should dance together."

Pete makes a soft noise in confusion.

"Yeah! Come on, let's-let's dance." Patrick stands up, wobbling a bit. Then he puts the bottle of wine on the dresser. "You pick the music."

Pete stands. "Fuck man, I don't know." He stretches. "You pick."

Patrick sighs. "Fine." He pulls out his phone. "Gotta pick something in three-four time," he mumbles.

"Why three-four?" Pete asks, the corners of his mouth pulling into a smile.

"Cause that's what you waltz to." Patrick looks up from his phone, eyes wide. "You know how to waltz, right?"

Pete shrugs. "I'm not great at it, but I get the idea."

Patrick hums. "I'll lead then."

Pete watches Patrick without a word, tracing the line of his jaw with his eyes. He's turning over what's about to happen in his mind; he hasn't tried to waltz since his wedding night. He remembers a few little details, mainly Ashlee's sweet smile when he whispered "I love you."

He wonders if he could get a similar smile out of Patrick.

"Got it!" Patrick grins. He turns up the volume on his phone, putting it face down next to their bottle of wine.

The soft song makes Pete pause for a second. He knows the waltz is a slower dance, but holy shit. He doesn't have time to ask though, because Patrick takes his hand and pulls him in. Pete shrugs it off and puts his other hand on Patrick's shoulder. Patrick brings his other hand to Pete's shoulder blade. He locks eyes with Pete and starts instructing.

"Okay, so you're going to start with your right foot since you're the girl." Pete smiles. "The first thing you do is a hesitation step."

Patrick teaches him the first part while the intro to the song plays, then Pete watches him mentally count down before Patrick finally says, "And now you start the box step."

He timed it perfectly: the vocalist starts singing as soon as they do.

Patrick counts the beats under his breath, staring at Pete's chest as he does. Pete doesn't look away from his face once.

"This time when you step back, turn your heel out," Patrick says. Pete does, just as the song enters the chorus, and Patrick follows him. Pete realizes they're turning in slow circles in the middle of their hotel room.

Patrick lifts his hand and gently pushes Pete under and through, making him do a turn of his own, before pulling Pete back to him. Pete laughs a little, and Patrick smiles at him softly.

This time, Patrick presses his whole forearm to Pete's side, bringing them closer together than before.

Pete squeezes Patrick's hand and lays his head on Patrick's shoulder. He can't tell if the calm he feels is because of the wine, a creeping feeling of sleepiness, or downright content at being secure in his best friend's arms. He moves his head until the bridge of his nose is tucked against Patrick's neck and soaks in the warmth that comes with that contact.

They're too close to properly waltz now, Pete realizes. They're mostly swaying and taking a few baby steps that could make something resembling a box.

Oh well. Patrick's arm has made its way around his waist, and he's holding Pete's hand to his chest like it's something precious.

This time Patrick sings with the chorus.

"Don't say a word just come over and lie here with me
Cause I'm just about to set fire to everything I see
I want you so bad I'd go back on the things I believe
There I just said it, I'm scared you'll forget about me."

Pete lets the words wash over him.

Should he?

Pete lifts his head. He leans in until their foreheads are touching. Patrick doesn't push him away. They're staring at each other with attentive eyes.

Pete closes his eyes first, then, emboldened by the wine coursing through his veins, closes the gap between them, ghosting a kiss over Patrick's lips. He pulls back enough that he can gauge Patrick's reaction. They stop moving.

Patrick's eyes are wide as saucers, and his cheeks are pinker than before, and Pete knows it's not the alcohol. Pete doesn't blink, and the voice in the back of his head is starting to chant, "You fucked up you fucked up you fucked up!"

Patrick wraps his arms around Pete's waist and presses their lips together.

The space between them disappears. Pete cups Patrick's face in his hands, and Patrick's lips are so soft, and it's the most intense kiss he's ever had. Patrick's fingertips are digging into his back, pulling Pete in like he can't get him close enough. Pete tilts his head and deepens the kiss and strokes Patrick's cheeks with his thumbs and he's pretty sure he's in heaven.

The kiss breaks and they're both gasping for air. Pete keeps Patrick close, ready to dive back in for more as soon as he catches his breath.

"Pete Pete Pete Pete, I love you," Patrick's whispering. He presses another kiss to Pete's lips; Pete melts into it. "I love you, Pete, I love you, I love you so much."

Pete grins. "I love you too. I love you so much, Patrick." Patrick tries to pull him closer again, and as much as Pete loves the feeling of Patrick wanting him, there's a desperate look in Patrick's eyes that says he's terrified of Pete leaving. So he smooths down Patrick's hair and coos, "Shh shh shh, I'm right here, it's okay, I'm here and I love you and I'm never going to let you go ever again."

Patrick smiles beautifully, and Pete kisses him again.

They pass out as soon as their heads hit their pillows, sleepy from the drinking and the security of each other's love. They wake up and grin softly at each other in their hotel room, and everything slots into place.

Once they get some coffee, they waste no time before consummating their relationship. It's been fourteen years, after all.