10. It Can Only Get Better

Another sick fic as requested by Falloutboyfanaticx Sorry about any typos and/or fuck ups in the writing, I'm sleep deprived :) SRAR era.

Pete had the flu a couple times before. It was mostly his own doing, because he "forgot" to get vaccinated, and no cough or sneeze was going to stop him from drinking after someone. At this point in his life, he thinks it'd be stupid to get vaccinated; he's practically flu-proof.

Patrick? Not so much.

Pete had noticed his boyfriend's sneezing and coughing, but anytime he asked about it Patrick brushed it off as allergies. His headaches and tiredness were blamed on his lack of sleep while working on their come back. His skipped meals were a little more concerning, but Patrick had assured him it was just because he'd forgotten while working.

His story held up until Pete woke up to a burning hot Patrick curled up against him. He had only registered the uncomfortable heat at first, but the more he woke up the more his worried set in.

Patrick was shivering and whimpering in pain.

"Patrick? Are you okay?" Pete wrapped an arm around his boyfriend and pulled him closer. Patrick sighed shakily and buried his face in Pete's chest. He murmured something, but Pete couldn't hear him. "What?"

Patrick pulled away a bit. He locked eyes with Pete, and he saw how glassy the normally bright blue eyes looked. "I think I have the flu."

"Oh, sweetheart, why didn't you tell me?" Pete cooed, running a hand through Patrick's damp hair.

"I didn't want to worry you. Plus, we were so caught up in working on the album that I figured I'd just wait it out." He pulled away more, turning his head, and coughed. Pete pulled him back to his chest and kissed his forehead.

"I'd be a pretty crappy boyfriend if I didn't worry about you." Pete bit his lip and held Patrick a little tighter. "I love you, sweetheart. I want to take care of you."

Patrick nuzzled Pete's shoulder. He pressed a kiss to his collarbone that made Pete let out a small sigh. "I love you too. So much."

"So you'll let me take care of you?" Pete asked. Patrick nodded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Patrick's fever wasn't abnormally high, so there was no reason he had to go to the hospital. Pete made a few trips to the drug store to get something for Patrick's soreness and congestion, but that was all he could do for the time being. Patrick didn't want to go to the doctor to get an actual prescription, and Pete didn't push him to.

But there was nothing to defend against the nausea. It would go away for short periods of time, but it always came back, leaving Patrick to have to rush to the bathroom. Pete would always follow close behind to rub his back and make sure he had cold water to drink.

"I don't think this is helping my aches any," Patrick groaned in between heaves. Pete knew it was supposed to be a light-hearted comment, but he could hear the exhaustion in his voice. The slump in his shoulders only confirmed his suspicions.

Pete moved his hand from Patrick's back up to his shoulders and began to knead lightly. He's no masseur, but he's willing to give it a shot. Patrick hummed in appreciation and relaxed under his touch; Pete took it as a sign to keep going. He only stopped when Patrick began coughing, and even then he returned to tracing gentle circles on Patrick's back.

"I'll run you a bath once your fever's gone down some more," he blurted. Patrick was gasping slightly in an effort to regain his breath. "I'll light candles, if you want, so it doesn't feel silly, but I bet the hot water would feel good."

Patrick gave a small nod. "Yeah, that sounds nice."

Soon enough his vomiting stopped, and Patrick barely took the time to wash his hands and drink some water before turning back to Pete. He was still sitting on the floor and was confused by Patrick's decision to crawl into his lap.

"Don't you think the bed would be more comfortable?" Pete teased, wrapping his arms around his boyfriend.

"Too tired," Patrick whispered. "Can we just stay here for a little while?"

Pete kissed his cheek. "Of course, sweetheart."

Patrick ended up falling asleep. Pete ran his hand through Patrick's hair and watched him. He was sleeping peacefully despite his illness, and there was a light flush in his cheeks that Pete couldn't help but think was adorable. After he was sure he wasn't going to disturb him, he carried Patrick back to his bedroom and laid him down. He crawled in behind him, spooned him close, and pulled covers over them both.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Patrick got better over the next couple of days. His fever had mostly gone down, hovering in the high nineties, and his vomiting had stopped completely. Pete liked to think it was because he cuddled Patrick back to health. He was still coughing and sneezing, and he still ached in a lot of places, but he was able to get out of bed.

Besides, Pete had promised him a warm bath, and he thought that could help both remaining symptoms.

While he ran the water, he dug around the junk drawers in their house and gathered up as many candles as he could find. Most of them were tea lights, but he found a few larger ones in glass holders that he made a second trip for, in fear that he would drop one and break it on accident. He stopped the water when he thought the tub was full enough and checked that it wouldn't scald his boyfriend. Then he placed the candles around the room and lit them one by one.

"I kind of though you were joking about the candle thing." Pete looked over his shoulder to see Patrick standing in the doorway wrapped up in a hoodie that probably belonged to him. He smiled and motioned for Patrick to come closer.

"Not at all," he said as he slid an arm around his boyfriend's waist. He lit the last candle and looked up at Patrick. "Ready to get in?"

Patrick nodded, biting his lip to hold back a smile. "Are you going to join me?"

"Of course." Pete stood up and gave Patrick a quick kiss before moving to take off his hoodie.

After only a few minutes they were situated in the bath; Patrick's back was against Pete's chest and Pete had his arms around Patrick's middle. Patrick leaned his head back to rest against Pete's shoulder, and he responded by placing soft kisses on Patrick's neck. Patrick sighed in content.

"You were right," Patrick murmured aloud while beginning to trace Pete's tattoos. "The water's nice."

"I'm glad you like it," Pete said with a smile. He kissed Patrick's cheek, then followed it up with one on his jaw. "And I'm glad you're feeling better."

Patrick turned his head and gave Pete a slow kiss. When they broke away their foreheads were still touching. "I'm glad too."