Chapter 23

Yuta entered his flat and threw his duffel on the couch. Something caught his nose and automatically dragged his feet to the kitchen.

He then found Wonwoo was cooking.

"You're home?"

"Hm." Yuta took a glass of water from the fridge. "What are you cooking?"

"Just a simple soup I'd like to have when I can't sleep. My mother taught me how to make this." Wonwoo replied as he stirred the soup. "Why are you so late?"

"Just, you know, here and there..."

"Did you meet Jiwoo-noona today?"

"I did. We went to the night market earlier."

"Aah... the one by the river? That's why you were late?" Wonwoo placed a bowl on the dining table and took a seat. "But it's amazing that she wanted to come with you."

Yuta furrowed his eyebrows. "What do you mean with that?"

Wonwoo slurped his soup. "You know... she just doesn't like crowded places that much. Being alone is something she really fond of and I can never understand that."

Yuta stared into space.

"Why? Judging at your face... something happened? Why? Did you ask her out? Eeyy, that would be stupid-" Wonwoo found Yuta stared back at him. "Did you???"

"I tried."

"Other than fighting, soccer and bass, you can't do anything, right?"

"That is... brutally true."

"If she lets you into her life, that's enough. She's never had a complete family anyway, so it's natural that she doesn't like parting ways."

"And what about you?"

"Me? What about me?"

"You're her brother."

The mention about him being her brother made him put down his spoon.

"I think she just doesn't know how being less alone will actually make her feel happier. At least from my point of view."

"She once told me that if I didn't return to her, she had already made plans to live alone until she dies. Not quite a plan, but I believe she means it."

Yuta nodded. "I know." He then stood up, hoping a splash of cold water would help clearing his mind.

"Hyung... about Daesan-go...."

"What about it?"

"...tomorrow night. It's not an attack anymore, it's a battle. They know about Eundo-go going after them and Taeseong hyung joined us, so the first to tenth rank are coming with us, too."

Yuta sighed. "Fine. Let's talk to Ki Taeseong."

Wonwoo nodded. "I'll call him."

"Ssem!" Taeyong spotted Jiwoo who was on her earphones. She waved her hand at him.

"It's still weird to see you without your school uniform, you know?" She unplugged one earphone.

"Hehe." He scratched his forehead. "But ssem, why are you in this area?"

"Ah... I was looking for..." She scooped a piece of paper from her totebag. "...Ojigu? Is that what it's called? I can't read stylized hangul that much..."