twenty

"Be useful and grab a bottle of ranch dressing outta the fridge," Jones instructed Zach, while Torren laid Austin down on the kitchen floor. He was intermittently sputtering like a cheap firecracker and coughing out globs of smoke.

"Who the hell bound him up like this?"

Zach set the bottle of ranch dressing down next to Jones, sheepishly pushing up his glasses.

"Shoulda know." Jones shook her head. "Torren, I need you to get a steak knife outta that drawer. Zach, you help me pull this hospital gown down. I need his chest bare."

Torren set off towards the drawer Jones had pointed to, rummaging around until he found a serrated steak knife, and hurrying back over to Austin's side. "What do you want with all this stuff?"

Jones snatched the knife out of Torren's hand.

"Just roll him over on his side so I can get at his hands."

Torren and Zach rolled Austin over, the entire length of his body bare. "I can't believe you bring this shit to me. I ain't even had my coffee yet," Jones muttered.

She ran sure fingers down the length of Austin's arms until they caught on an invisible string. Using the knife, she freed his hands then rolled him flat on his back.

"Ranch me," Jones said, tilting Austin's chin up. His mouth sputtering like an electric fountain of light.

Zach hesitantly gave her the bottle of dressing, a question cording his brow. Kneeling beside Torren, he whispered, "Bro, this isn't how Davey used to do it."

"That's because my flavor of magic isn't mainstream," Jones was saying as she squirted a triangle on Austin's chest with the dressing, and another on his abdomen. "It's street magic. Unsanctioned."

Torren and Zach shared a wide-eyed look before turning back to Austin. Angry hisses erupted from the places where the dressing made contact with his skin. Sizzling and popping like grease on a griddle. Torren's insides gave a sharp twist when Austin coughed again.

"Are you sure this is safe?"

"If I say yes, will it make you feel better?" Jones asked as she placed two fridge magnets in Austin's palms.

"Of course it would."

Jones smirked. Tossing her braided plaits over one shoulder. "Okay fine, it's safe. Now everyone shut up so I can do my thing."

Torren sat back on his heels, watching Jones' intently as she worked. The tips of her fingernails were glowing with light as she passed her hands over the length of Austin's chest. Her body swaying in a rhythmic motion Torren wasn't sure he was capable of.

"Vanquish the flame," Jones chanted. The words fell into the same rhythm as her body. Undulating like a serpent. "Earth smother and water quell."

Steam billowed from Austin's mouth and ears, rising from the markings on his bare torso.

"Come on, dude," Zach was whispering with hands clasped together.

Panic burrowed its way inside Torren's chest like a hungry worm. Chomping up the hope and faith he had. This wasn't going to work. Austin wasn't breathing. The skin around his lips was puckering with blisters as steam continued to flow over his mouth. He should have called Jay. Saving Zach's ass was way less important than saving Austin's life.

Beads of sweat formed on Jones' forehead, gleaming under the fluorescent light of her tiny kitchen. Her chanting grew louder, a bellowing sound that shook plates and rattled silverware.