Chapter 8

Chantel's POV

We were shown to a conference room. "What am I being charged with?" It was the first thing that Jungkook asked me as soon as we were alone. "You may want to have a seat for this." He looked at me with a funny look on his face. I take a seat across from him and hold his hands. "extortion, kidnapping, drugging, and rape. Of your wife." His eyes get huge and he shakes his head.

"I knew this detective hated me; I just didn't know it was this deep." He lowers his head to the table not letting go of my hands. "What do we do now? Can you even get me out with these charges?"

I nod my head at him and gave his hands a gentle squeeze. "I need you to quickly tell me everything that has happen since your arrest." He nods his head and begins to tell me about his arrest, and he was arrested right outside the garage basically. How the detective allowed his son to drive his car off. He explains that he was never read his rights or advised of his charges. How the son made threats against me before he pulled off. How threats that were made against him and how a prisoner came into his cell and attempted to intimidate him and threatened his cellmate. He explained how he broke the man's hand. Just as he finished his story the officer knocked on the signaling that our time is up.

The officer escorts us to back to the court room. He takes Jungkook back to his seat with the other prisoners and directs me to mine at the defense table. I notice the attorney was seated in his spot at the table. He looks at me and smiles. "I am gonna let you finish what you started. This judge is not known for his patience." I smile and nod as we stand waiting on the judge to be seated.

"OK, are we ready now?" The judge looks around the courtroom, making eye contact with all the attorneys. "Everyone please sit." He announces in a very brisk tone and used his hands to indicate that we should all be seated.

"OK Assistant Prosecutor state your case." He looks at him as he stands and straightens his suits. "Your Honor, we are asking that Mr. Jeon be remanded to custody without bail, due to the severity of his charges." He looks to the judge and then turns to face Jungkook. "His name has come up in more than one of our investigations. He and his family have access to a lot of ready cash, and we believe him to be a flight risk as well." He nods to the judge and takes a seat looking at me with a little smirk.

"OK, Mrs. Jeon Your turn." I stood up and made my way to the center of the court room.

"Thank you, your honor." I turn and I face Jungkook then the Prosecutor. "Your honor, he has been listed in other investigations but never arrested or been in court. Detective Wong has attempted to arrest Mr. Jeon before. However, whoever he got the complete the application for a warrant failed to get it signed by a judge. I found out today that he was not even advised of his charges or his rights." I hear the prosecutor suck in a breath and begin to look through his paperwork.

"The charges he has are extortion, kidnapping, drugging, and rape." The prosecutor stood up. "Objection your honor, it is standard police practice to read the accused their right and list charges. Also, the detective's feelings are not on trial and are irrelevant, these charges are legit. The woman went into the police department and filed charges against him, and it is on tape." The judge looked at him and frowned. "Overruled this is not a trial she can say what she wants. While you continue to listen get me a copy of the body cam footage to prove that he was read his charges and rights. Regardless to how you feel I have had more than on case involving Detective Wong where the standards were not met." The prosecutor paled but nodded and sent his assistant to look for the footage.

"Continue Mrs. Jeon." He looked at the complaint and then looked at me and waited for me to continue. "Yes sir." I continued and looked at him. "As you can see the woman that filed these charges claimed to be his wife. I have a marriage certificate and I current ID that says otherwise. I did not bring the marriage certificate, but I do have my ID with me. I was unaware of the charges until this morning. Even though they clearly searched our home there was no warrant or detectives left behind to explain anything. My home was left open for whoever wanted to walk in." The judge looked at the prosecutor and shook his head, I could see his frustration. "I have also been unable to locate our car, which was last seen being driven by the detective's son. I do have a copy of the last inspection of the car since it was the day before the arrest. I would like to check mileage and make sure it was only taken to the impound yard. I would also like to know why it was driven instead of towed as is the norm." I nod to the judge and take my seat.