☾hapter ONE

Nate Sanders, police detective of the Sivil PD, sat across from the chief of the department

Nate Sanders, police detective of the Sivil PD, sat across from the chief of the department. "So tell me again," he asked, "why do I have to go there?" Curiosity lingered in his eyes and leaked into his voice. The two were currently stashed in his boss's office.

Luke, the Alpha male who sat in front of Nate, grunted as he pulled out a file from his desk drawer. "Because you're one of the best we have and they need you down there to help solve a case."

Grabbing hold of the file being presented to him, Nate flipped the folder open, a deep frown etched on his face.

"What the hell?"

An open suitcase containing the torso and hands of a woman stared back at him.

He went to the next photograph which showed her head covered in sand. Leaning in closer, he saw that it had been crudely cut off, bone fragments from the spine still partially attached to the hack job that was done to her neck.

The jaw looked broken, bones jutting out from the sides of her hollow cheeks. Her left ear was completely missing, leaving behind a hole in its place.

"We have a killer on the loose." Luke pulled out five more case files from the drawer, handing them to him. "Bastard has been leaving bodies everywhere in the city of Allura."

"What makes you think it's just one?" he asked, leaning forward to grab the pile. "It could just be the work of multiple people."

Opening the case file on top, Nate saw another woman in a similar fashion as the last. Frowning, he opened each and everyone of the other folders, only to receive a series of more dismembered bodies of other females the more he looked. Each case had a date printed on top, a sequence of three months separated each of them and below it was the classification of each individual female: four Betas and two Omegas.

Luke leaned back in his chair, the piece of furniture squeaking under his weight. "Possible," he agreed, eyes following the movements of Nate as the Alpha scanned each and every photo. "But I doubt each supposed killer left the same thing behind after every murder."

"Yeah? And what is that?" asked Nate, eyes still glued to the pictures.

His boss moved to rest his hands on the veneer of his desk, fingers gripping the silkiness of the wood. Glancing up quickly, Nate saw the male trying to restrain the anger that had suddenly flooded the air around them.

"A yellow tiger swallowtail placed inside of her mouth."

Surprise flashed across Nate's face. "A butterfly?"

Nodding, his boss picked up the newspaper lying on the side of the desk and threw it over for him to see. "Someone leaked it to the press and now the rest of the world is in a panic. The Prime Minister and his council are trying to keep the hysteria from escalating, but we don't have much time left."