Prologue

The soft crunch from the leaves under the soles of Detective Zara Crones was deafening over the chaos that had grasped the scene in front of her

The soft crunch from the leaves under the soles of Detective Zara Crones was deafening over the chaos that had grasped the scene in front of her. Even the pitter-patter of rain hitting themselves against the ground drowned everything out.

Everything was so still, yet was not. She could still see the movements of other officers as they scrambled around the area, trying to find something in the thick forest. From her peripheral vision, a flash of white appeared and then quickly disappeared. Turning, she caught a bruised hand before the flutters of a cloth covered it.

Someone softly touched her shoulder, jerking her back to reality. All at once, the wretched scent of rotting flesh seeped into her nose. The pungent odor was instantly recognizable, taking her back to her training days when all newly appointed officers had to go to the morgue and see a decomposing body.

No one could ever forget such a smell.

"Detective Crones, we've collected the rope but other than that, there was nothing else to collect. Some officers will be staying the rest of the night to help CSI, but I don't see how much more they can find."

"Sounds good." Lifting one side of her mouth, Zara gave a small nod to the policeman who'd relayed the news and watched as he saluted her before leaving.

Inhaling, she tried catching his scent, but nothing other than the smell of the victim came to her. Disappointment ran through her before she brushed the feeling off and focused once more on everything around her.

A Beta officer, Jim, if her recollection was correct, stood off to the side. His body was hunched over a tree as another patrolman patted his back. Zara could tell that the smell had gotten to Jim as the poor man continued retching while his partner hovered beside, trying to hide him from prying eyes.

To her left, the whisperings from the couple who had initially found the body could still be heard.

From behind, the rustle of plastic caused the fine hairs on the back of her neck to stand up in attention. She knew from past experience that they were loading up the van to take back the body parts for the M.E. to examine.

And in that examination, she had a feeling that they were once again going to find the small present that had also been left on the last victim.

"Shit," the word softly exploded from her mouth.

It was bad enough to find the gravity of this death, but it was now the second murdered victim in a row. Not to mention, another woman at that.

This case wasn't something a small police department in the city of Allura could handle anymore. It was time to call in the big guns.

It was time for help.