Ch.18 Unhealthy Habits

Riggs

2 months.

2 months of silence.

2 months of worry.

2 months of guilt.

2 months of Regret.

2 months of no word from Dylan or anyone in her unit. I began to grow worried. They were supposed to return home yesterday. A few of the other guys in my unit were also becoming worried. A few of them in relationships with the girls who went. Some friends with the ladies who went.

I was unaware of this and shocked when they came to show support and sympathy when they didn't return home yesterday.

"Its just a delay. Could of got stalled in a snow squall or had to stop to refuel." Colby, a newer private, smiled at me.

"Oh yeah. You know how awful those aircrafts are with their fuel consumption." Diego, another private, bumped shoulders with me.

I nodded,"Could go half way down the street and have to refuel." I laughed.

"Exactly." The boys said in sync.

We were all trying to keep each other calm. When a unit didn't arrive home on time, it was usually bad news.

"Gentlemen, I have some new information for you." One of the superiors entered the small waiting room.

We had spent the last 48 hours here. Just waiting.

We all tensed up at the mention of new information. Please for the love of god be good.

Ill go to church if you just bless me this one time with good news.

"We just received a signal from the pilot of the outgoing aircraft." Sergeant Thompson shook his head.

why was he shaking his head?

I shot a glance at Colby who was watching me with the same scared eyes.

"Spit it out," Diego squeezed the arm of his chair.

"The plane went down, lads. Im sorry." Thompson's head drooped.

"What do you mean went down?" Diego stood.

"Is anyone alive? Sophia? Robert? Angela?" Colby was next to Diego firing questions at the very overwhelmed sergeant.

"Dylan?" I asked quietly.

"We are in the dark about the survivors. There is already a unit on the way to the crash sight." Thompson handed us papers and maps.

"Before you ask, You are not permitted to go on the search expedition with the unit. You are also not permitted to leave base until they have returned." We all shot him a glare.

Although it was for our own good and safety, we were all still livid.

"Fuck this." Diego shoved the papers into my chest and stomped out of the lobby.

"I truly am sor-"

"Save it, Geezer." Colby yelled at the sergeant and stormed out of the room.