Ch.9| Big Bad Wolf

Heyooo. I highly suggest listening to "Say" by Ruel during this chapter. It'll set a mood and hopefully give you an insight into Riggs feelings. Enjoy!

~~~
Riggs

I couldn't keep my eyes off of Dylan as we slowly climbed the front steps to her childhood home. She looked so broken.

She never actually told me what had gone down during her childhood to make her hate this place so much. Although it wasn't hard to put it together, between the scars that lined her body and the way she jumped at any type of contact. It was transparent.

She was abused. By who? Not completely sure. Maybe her parents? Family friend? I'm going to find out though and make them pay. Dylan is too smart, too sweet, too everything to be so afraid.

"You ready?" I held out my hand to her.
Dylan stared at it for a few seconds before taking a deep breath and accepting.

"It'll be okay, sweetheart." I smiled and we knocked on the door.

I would make sure it was. I'd keep her safe.

It took a few minutes of knocking and waiting before a man opened the red wooded door.

"I don't want any damn cookies. How many times do I have to tell you bastards?" The man managed between coughs and grunts.

How charming.

"Dad, it's Dylan. Not the Girl Scouts." Dylan said uneasily.

"Dylan?" The man squinted his eyes at her before shaking his head.

"No clue. Sorry lady." He smiled and began shutting the door.

I felt anger in my chest. I stepped forward and placed my hand on the door.

"That's your daughter man." I nodded at Dylan who was swaying a little.

"My daughter died a year ago. Now get off my property before I shoot you." Dylan's father slammed the door, locking it.

I slammed my fist on the door out of anger. She deserved far better then these assholes.

"Riggs?" Dylan's voice was small.

I turned to see her leaning against the porch post.

"Are you okay?" I rushed to her side and let her lean into me.

"I'm cold." She managed through shivering teeth.

I tore off my jacket and draped it around her shoulders, pulling her back into my embrace.

I felt her forehead which was burning hot. She had a concussion or so we thought. Being out here in the frigid cold wasn't going to help that.

"Is there a hotel nearby?" I asked calmly as I helped her down the stairs.

No response.

"Dylan?" I asked and stopped at the bottom step to look at her face.

"Hmm," she groaned.

"Keep your eyes open beautiful. Please." I begged, sounding desperate. My old man would of disapprove. I didn't care though. She was too important.