Epilogue

I was putting books away at the end of the day. The kids always messed them up. Picking up books, then placing them where ever. I tsked.

Strong arms wrapped around me as a massive body pressed me gently against the shelf.
A husky voice whispered into my ear, "We have to stop meeting secretly like this. Everyone will think we're having an affair."

I let out a low moan, "The English teacher and the librarian, between the stacks in the afterhours. That sounds heated."

The whisper lowered and turned a notch more seductive, "Wouldn't be the first time." A soft kiss landed on my neck.

"Shhh, you'll get us fired Mr. Kane," I said, turning around. My husband looked at me, his blue eyes dancing with amusement.

"Happy first anniversary," he said, "I'm sorry I had to leave while you were still sleeping."

"We've been over this. It's our fourth anniversary," I replied, brushing a hand over his cheek.

"No. It's our first official anniversary. All those other fakeaversaries have nothing on today."

"What was last year's Kamaversary then?" I snorted.

"Practice," he chuckled.

Yes, it had been four years since our wedding. Since I'd been Eveline, and he Rayden. Since I'd seen my parents or my sister. Since our life had turned completely upside down.

We'd had a beautiful ceremony in the grand old church in the city. On the way to the reception, Rayden had made an extra stop and taken me to a hotel room to consummate the marriage. I had just thought it another one of his cheeky things. But then after dinner and cake were consumed and we'd danced, Rayden had given a speech. At the end of which, the reception had been invaded by police and half the guests arrested, along with Rayden and I. He'd whispered to me half a second before, "Get ready for our abduction." And I'd known.

He'd planned it since that night at the restaurant. But he hadn't dared tell anyone, not even me. So that I wouldn't fret and get nervous. He'd contacted the police and told them he'd give them everyone in the family, in turn for our protection. I could see how hard it had been for him to betray them, no matter what they'd done to him. And how much it had killed him that I had to say goodbye to my family too. Even though I'd told him I knew it was the only way, and it was worth it.

Our wedding had been the perfect excuse to get all the Keene family under the same roof. Get everyone arrested at the same time. It was the end of the company, of everything. So many business partners went down that day too. Rayden had given them everything and everyone. A beautiful ending to a beautiful day.

Rayden leaned against the shelf and bent down to kiss me.

When he pulled away, he said, "February 29, you're my favorite. But don't tell all the others. They get jealous."

"You haven't called me that in a long time."

His eyes gleamed with amusement, "Just once, in honor of the day."

"In that case," I whispered, "Rayden."

He drew a dramatic breath and said, "Naughty."
"I miss your name."

"I miss yours too. But we're William and Emily now."

"Indeed, we are. And we work in a high school... The students really love you; I knew they would. And if I got a penny every time I hear 'Mr. Kane's so hot' I'd be as rich as you used to be." I threw him a broad smile.

"They're right. I'm gorgeous. That's why I've got such a sexy wife."

"If only they knew how modest you were too. Anyway, I heard these girls talk today and one of them goes 'How do you think they have sex? Like, does he crush her? Poor Mrs. Kane.' I laughed so much. It was hard keeping it muffled. I almost got tempted to tell them about that one--"

"You promised me we'd never talk about that," he seethed under his breath.

"Teehee," I laughed, then sighed happily, "You know. I'm eternally grateful for that flash of light."