Chapter 4

Lane groaned inwardly as he walked into his house, preparing for bullshit. That’s all he ever dealt with when he was at home. His mother Vicki and step dad Bruce were already going at it, screaming at one another at the top of their lungs. He rolled his eyes as he walked pass them. He wondered what they were fighting about now, but better yet he didn’t give a fuck.

It was probably Bruce flipping out on his mom for supposedly talking to another guy. He was a controlling asshole who Lane constantly told his mom to leave, but she didn’t listen. She thought just because they had a five year old kid together that she had to stay with the prick. Lane knew that if his dad was still alive he wouldn’t have to deal with any of this bullshit.

Lane was about to ignore it all when he saw his half-little sister Christie sitting in the hallway, crying. Just because she was his half sister it didn’t make him love her any less. Regardless she was his sister, full blood or not. He walked over and sat across from her. He knew that with all of the fighting, Christie was the one who dealt with it all while he locked himself away in his room, drowning the voices out she was left listening to their bullshit.

“Aye, Chris, why you crying? Chin up.”

She was sniffing and sobbing uncontrollably. “D-Daddy h-hit Mommy.” She said through her sobs. She was trying to be strong and wipe her tears away.

“He what?” Lane breathed, although he’d heard her perfectly. He took a deep breath. “Hey, why don’t you go in my room real quick and I’ll close the door then I’ll come back and get you when all the fighting’s over? You can watch some of my T.V., yeah?”

She nodded and he picked her up from the ground. Lane let her lay on his bed while he put on some cartoon crap on his television. That got her attention quickly. It was amazing what short attention span kids had. After getting Christie settled, he closed his door and walked out into the living room where the fighting was taking place.

When Bruce saw him he stared at him with disgust. “What the fuck do you want, kid? Get the fuck back into your room! This is between me and your mom you little fuck!”

Lane didn’t say a word. Fed up with all of the prick’s bullshit he simply stood in front of him and punched him in the side of the face. Bruce only stumbled slightly while his mom began to scream at him like a maniac. Bruce’s face was red and he shook with anger.

“Did you really just fucking hit me?”

“Lane!” His mom cried. “Lane, please stop! This is my fault! Stop!”

Lane turned on her, staring at her in disbelief. “You’re fault?” He breathed. “Mom, getting hit by this bitch isn’t your fault! The only thing that’s your fault is staying with the worthless bastard-”

Lane roughly hit the ground. The impact of the punch had happened so fast he’d barely felt it. But as he laid on the floor, holding his eye the pain was shooting through his face. Lane began to get back up but his mom was sobbing and standing in front of him, stopping him.

“Please.” She cried. “Both of you please. Just stop.”

Bruce’s eyes were practically popping out of his head as he stared down at Lane. “Next time you put a hand on me I’ll give you an even bigger ass whooping!” Then he stormed out of the house.

Vicki quickly jumped to her feet and ran out of the house to follow him. “Bruce!” She cried . “Wait!”

Lane laid there for a long moment, staring up at the ceiling as his face throbbed uncontrollably. “Fuck.” He muttered, holding onto his eye. He knew this wasn’t going to be pretty the next morning.