Chapter 9 - The Tribute

Start from the beginning

We can't do anything but hope.

"What are you thinking?" Katniss asks me quietly. We'd been sitting in silence for a considerable amount of time.

I shrug, not really knowing what to say. "I.... I just. I'm scared." Tears well up in my eyes. What more can I say? How many times can I explain how I feel before it becomes redundant?

Please... please don't cry again.

Just as Katniss is about to respond, the phone rings.

Katniss answers, tells me it's Cato and hands me the phone.

"Hello?"

"Hi baby," Cato responds. His voice is a little shaky, and I know it's because he's on edge.

"Hi Cato. How's it going?" I ask him, trying to keep the conversation normal. I just don't want to think about what could happen today, and I definitely don't want to talk about it.

Cato sighs. "Well, you know how it goes around here on Reaping day. Everything's a mess, as always." He chuckles lightly.

"Oh yea? How's the team?"

He sucks in a breath, and I can sense his eyes rolling. "Dumb as doorknobs, as always."

I smile, and it feels nice to talk about something normal.

I don't know what to say, so there's a pause before he continues. "Where's my baby girl?" He asks slowly.

I gulp. "She's still in bed. I had her sleep with me last night. You know... just in case—"

"Is she ok?" he asks. "How's she feeling about the Reaping this year?"

"Same as always. She absolutely hates the thought. I swear, if she could revolutionize the system, she would."

Willow absolutely hates the thought of the Games. She could barely stomach watching it every year. It tears her to pieces when she sees what has to happen, and Willow is definitely not happy that her dad plays such a large role in the process. On the other hand, she always uses it as a learning experience. She will pick up on certain tactics and techniques of the tributes, knowing that Cato will quiz her and have her study and replicate their actions once the Games is over. He loves teaching her how to study her opponents and understand their every single move, something we all know he was so skilled at during our Games. It's how we were ahead, and stayed ahead, in order to win.

Though Willow hates it, she also knows about the sacrifices her father and I had to make, including him working in the Games, and that he's doing it to protect us and provide a life she would've never been able to have otherwise.

"Otherwise she's ok?"

"Of course, she's fine. She kind of thought that me wanting her in bed with me was for nerves for a completely different reason. I don't think she suspects anything still."

"Fuck." Cato cuts me off and then I hear a sniffle. "I wish I could be there today. I'm sorry that I have to be here."

"I know, I know. We will be okay, Cato. Once today is over we will come home and everything will go back to normal, right?"

As I utter these words, I regret letting them come out of my mouth.

Nothing will ever be the same.

Cato mutters a "right", most likely just to entertain my idea. We keep up with light conversation about how mom and Katniss are when Willow comes down the stairs, rubbing her eyes sleepily.

"Oh Cato, Willow is awake, you want to speak to her?"

He says yes, and I call Willow over, kiss her forehead, and hand the phone to her.