CHAPTER 23 - TRYING TO FORGET

Start from the beginning

"Ladies first," Chase said as he held his hand out and helped us aboard.

Once we are all on the yacht, I realized that it was staffed with an entire crew. They showed us to a table on the open deck and began serving us lunch. It was insanely good but the conversation was even better.

I don't know what it was but somehow when we were all together it just felt comfortable. It seemed like we had all been friends for years. No one would ever have guessed that I was once a waitress who moonlighted as a maid. A maid that used to clean their toilets. I smiled inside when I thought about that. How ironic that I was sitting on a yacht having lunch with them.

After lunch, Max insisted that we all go into the pool.

"We didn't bring suits Max because you wouldn't tell us where we were going."

He just laughed at me.

"Calm down Lillie, everything you need is taken care of."

Piper and I looked at each other wondering what he could have possibly provided for us to wear. It suddenly occurred to me that Max had never seen me in a swimsuit. I had never shown that much skin around him. Piper could have cared a less. She was always so comfortable in her own skin.

When we found our suits in one of the cabins I couldn't believe it. Mine was a red bikini that left very little to the imagination.

"Has he lost his mind?" I asked Piper.

"Girl, if you've got it, flaunt it. You have nothing to be ashamed of." That was just like my Piper, throwing caution to the wind and living in the moment.

I reluctantly put the swimsuit on and then stared into the mirror studying every single one of my curves. I was always annoyed by my breasts. I would wear two sports bras to strap them down. In that bikini, there was no hiding them. If I could have cried I would have. I just consoled myself with the notion that Max was here to forget about his father's memorial service not to stare at me.

When we were done we headed out to the pool. Piper led the way as brazen and bold as always. I followed close behind wishing I could crawl out of my own skin.

Max and Chase were drinking bourbon by the pool when we came into view. Max's eyes widened in shock and then the bourbon carelessly spewed out of his mouth. He wiped the liquor off of his lips without ever taking his eyes off of me. I have to admit that I was blushing.

By the time dinner rolled around we were exhausted. We had been swimming for hours and lounged a little too long in the sun. All of us were in desperate need of a shower. When we gathered around the dinner table we were ready for some champagne. After our glasses were full, Chase held his up.

"To Mr. Livingston," he said and we all joined our glasses with his.

Max trailed off for a moment after the toast and seemed distant throughout the remainder of dinner. When we were done I suggested that he and I go for a stroll around the deck. He was gracious to oblige me and I have to admit that I had ulterior motives. I knew he was sad about his father and I was desperate to take that pain away from him.

We wound up on the back deck of the yacht where we could be alone. Beautiful lights illuminated us. It would have been romantic if were not there to forget about his father's service.

Even as we were walking around he still seemed distant, barely saying a word. When we finally stopped he just peered out over the ocean and into the darkness.

"A penny for your thoughts," I asked him.

"Do you know what my father told me the day that he asked you to leave the office? He told me that my entire life was about to change. That everything I thought I knew about my reality would be turned on its head. He told me what was in that box we found but not how it got there."

I moved closer to him until I was able to put my hand on his shoulder.

"I can only imagine what you are going through Max but I hope you know you don't have to do any of this alone."

He turned around to face me and placed his hand on my cheek. His eyes were piercing into mine and it felt like our souls were connected. I was melting under his touch and I felt like I could have asked him anything.

"What are you afraid of Max?"

"Of what our mystery man has to say," he honestly admitted.

*******

A/N

I am absolutely loving how close Lillie and Max are getting. What do you think? It seemed like his eyes popped out of his head when he saw her in that bikini.